Pages

Monday, August 30

Breck Epic 2010: The Weakest Week

My Breck Epic story actually starts back in February of this year. I was in for my annual physical, and my doctor was checking on my previously low iron levels and such. I told her about my plans for the year, and how important it was to me that I get back on the right track with my blood work before the "season" started. When I mentioned returning to Breckenridge I told her about last year's sleepless nights gasping for air, and she let me know that on her most recent ski trip to Breck she took Diamox to help with the problems of acclimatization. I was reluctant to take a pill, but I certainly didn't want to lose sleep every night at the Breck Epic, so I took the prescription.

The first stage should have been a sharp indicator that something was wrong. I felt like shit... a bigger shit than I felt like the year before. The next two days were a repeat of the same. I had trouble breathing, numb hands, and I had to pee constantly. Diamox is a diuretic, and I figured since I enjoy other diuretics on a daily basis (coffee and beer) I'd be fine. Apparently I shoulda backed off on my usual beverages and bulked up on water intake but whatever.

I stopped taking the pills at the end of the third day. I would love to be more descriptive about the first three stages, but honestly they're kinda blurred together. I remember pushing my bike in the mist over two passes on day three and the following descents, one of which being my main reason for returning to Breck.

By day four I was starting to feel better. More than 24 hours had passed since my last pill, and my breathing had become slightly better. From the start of the stage I was able to keep the two riders ahead of me in the GC (Jeff Wu and Peter) in sight just a bit longer than the day before. Comparing myself to the rest of the field was pointless since the single speed class was stacked with talent. Evan Plews, Dejay Birtch, Montana Miller, Jake Kirkpatrick, Michael Melley, Dan Durland, and let's not forget Trans-Sylvania's second place SS'er Doug Jenne. Shit, I shoulda entered the 40+ class.

By the time we got to the fifth stage I was starting to feel like my old self again. The day started out with a punchy climb up a ski hill, and I was able to stay on the bike and work my way into a part of the overall field that felt a bit more like where I was last year. The push to the top of Wheeler and the following killer descent played well with the way I was riding, and I actually had Doug in my sights until we hit the six mile coast down the bike path (a weak point for this sub 140lb rider). I finished the day in time to actually see some of the top single speeders still hanging out at the finish line which was something new for me this week.

The last day was almost a repeat of last year's stage six course. I had a death grip on DFL in the single speed class, but I still went all out in an effort to finish out the week feeling slightly better about myself. I was able to have a decent enough day, the kinda day that has me slightly less worried about the Shenandoah 100 this weekend than I was at the outset of the week.

I realize that's a pretty weak recap of a pretty weak week. I'll get into some nitty gritties over the next couple of days sorting out some of the details once I can get them straight in my head. One thing I can say for sure is that the 2010 Breck Epic was a character builder for me. There were definitely some moments early on where I found myself wondering if I was gonna make it through the week.

photo cred: Yuki Saito

7 comments:

Billy Fehr said...

Sandy Hill Pittman's espresso maker and that one twenty something Japanese eco-trekker whom died at like 11,000ft from HACE or was it HAPE both took Diamox. Glad you made it through that pill transfer little buddy.

dougyfresh said...

good to hear you are home. I'll be home tonight. took a semi lazy 3day drive back east.

thin air is not as easy as some think. great having you put there with us. it wouldn't be the same without teamdicky

Emily said...

I'm still not recovered from Colorado Trail Race, which was three weeks ago. Altitude can be a bitch, especially if you're racing for multiple days in a row. I might see you at Shenandoah, although I should probably sit it out due to my aforementioned Colorado pulmonary ass-kicking.

Karen said...

Big Pharma strikes again... although it's tough to tell if it was the pill, or if it was that the pill didn't do anything.

Not only is DFL better than DNF, there's more honor in a stacked class DFL than in a sandbagging podium.

Anonymous said...

Hey now, take it easy on the 40+ category. Aside from Plews the top six ss times are almost identical to the top six in 40+. And instead of finishing 10th as in ss, you would have finished something like 17th in 40+.

cornfed said...

Shortcut via pills. From oh-so to full pro. Nice work.

Glad you didn't die out there, little buddy. Make sure you give your kidneys some time to recover. Seriously.



wv: mously

Anonymous said...

SIDE EFFECTS: This drug may cause dizziness and lightheadedness especially during the first few days as your body adjusts to it. Rise slowly from a seated or lying position. Blurred vision, loss of appetite, itching, stomach upset, headache and weakness may also occur. If these symptoms persist or worsen, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: muscle cramps or pain, sore throat, skin rash, unusual bleeding or bruising, tingling of the hands or feet. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.