Pages

Monday, October 25

Accomplishing the shit outta something

Saturday. A day to catch up and maybe finally be done with a few things that have lingered too long on the undone list. I also put up a special weekend post because it was very justified. Tell me if you agree.

Awhile back I had swapped the Meatplow over to winter mode. The bike was "built" but not in any condition to ride.

Under 24 pounds with a steel fork, 8"rotor, Awesome Strap'ed stuff, and a 2.5 Kodiak tire. Army training sir.

Unfortunately "built" doesn't mean "ready for prime time." The rear brake has needed bled ever since I got back from Crank the Shield. Since I've been riding the Superbeast every time I head out the door for a mountain bike ride I have neglected the Meatplow and its needs. I was consumed with guilt looking at it hanging on the wall, so I broke out the not-so-pro bleed kit and went to work.

Eye protection is key. I suggest using a scratched up pair of glasses you found on the trail as opposed to using your own quality eye wear.

That and some kinda mock turtle neck T-shirt that was saved from a rag box at a former sponsor's factory. You can't be too protected.

Crank the Shield had done a number on my bike, and this was the last thing that needed addressed. As if the race wanted to take one last poke at me I had to remove some stubborn Canadian mud before I could loosen the brake lever and rotate it.

With this final bit of mechanical misery behind me I could finally put my bike room back in order. I realize this cycle of mess and clean is a sign of anal retentiveness. Whatever.

My work bench is clean... well, clean for my work bench.

The bikes and spare wheels are up on the hooks and off the floor.

The new Camelbaks have found a home and are no longer lying about hilly nilly in the corners. Ghandi approves.

And the office portion of my bike room is back in some relative order.

Thank goodness the "industry" thinks bottle openers make great tools of propaganda. One can never have too many of them lying around. Well I suppose if you had so many that they created a giant pile blocking your egress from your domicile in the case of an emergency (like a fire, an earthquake, or a big white sale at Dilliard's) you could say you have too many.

Last things last... I swapped the Rag Top for a Zone on the Superbeast.

This seems to make more sense given the small amount of stuff I'm carrying. Well, I think it's a small amount of stuff, but somebody gave me shit the other week about carrying a tire lever.

Anonymous said...

"Are you really too much of a pussy to remove/install a 29er tire w/o levers?"

Yes anonymous, sometimes I am too much of a pussy. I have to admit that some of my tires are a tight fit on my Stan's rims. Most of them are easy to remove, but some (like the Kenda Small Block 8) are just ridiculous. So I carry a fucking piece of plastic that weighs as much as three chicken feathers. I can't say I remember ever using it, but I've also never used the spare links or chaintool I carry as well. That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop carrying them. Besides, have you seen my forearms? I'm not exactly Popeye, so perhaps I am too much of a pussy... perhaps. Haters gonna hate.

I'm also taking a page outta the pro handbook:

I went ahead and screwed on the Genuine Innovations Microflate Nano to the CO2 cartridge. I've always felt like it was a bad idea to pierce the CO2 until you're ready to use it, but since the pros do it I think I'll hop on board. I stuck it in a glass of water and there were no bubbles, but time (and my first flat) will tell me if I chose wisely.

Saturday night I made the unpopular call to skip the first DirtBag Short Track race. An opportunity came up to ride Warrior Creek and Dark Mountain, and since it's been three weeks since I've been on a decent ride I chose twenty miles of banked bliss over thirty minutes of local fun.

I didn't bring a camera, but unfortunately Kangalangamangus brought his phone.

Don't blink or you may miss out on seeing the often times heard about but seldom ever seen in public, Eric Van Driver (rt).

It was a great day to be outside for a few hours on a bike. For those that want to know I taped my body part that I am not allowed to mention, and I was pretty much pain-free the whole day. Of course I rode the Superbeast. Although the Kerr Scott Trails System is an ideal place for a single speed (so people tell me) the newness has not worn off my Tallboy yet. Shifting and squishing about has made me a lazy (but smiling) rider, and that's just how I'm rolling right now. Suck it.

Tanya looks good with her hair up. I miss you too Peter.



and in case you need to cleanse your palate after looking at the Dejay 2010 SSWC thong photos...


boobs

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my E..:)

TheMutt said...

Have you actually weighed chicken feathers?

BTW, that video was hilarious, in a weird sort of way.


WV: surem

dicky said...

That was Tanya's (vegan vagabond) video. I failed Linking 101.

The Vegan Vagabond said...

This is a week's worth of posts, Dicky. So much stuff. My favourite part was where you gave it to anonymous for the lever comment. Anyway, there's no shame in being a pussy. Okay, maybe a little but you really own it so it's working for you.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely a Pussy.
Why would you drive to Warrior, unpack, ride Warrior, pack up, drive to Dark Mountain, unpack, ride Dark Mountain, then pack up and leave?
There are a lot of good trails on the OVT that connect the two systems and you don't have to waste valuable petroleum.

redheeler said...

You're a pisser! I enjoy the hell outta your blog! Keep up the good work.

dicky said...

Kangalangamangus had never seen OVT or Dark Mountain. He was feeling his sinus problems after riding WC, so we opted for the shorter ride at Dark Mountain. But you are correct... I am a pussy, and can't ride more than two hours without breaking down in tears.

the original big ring said...

if i had known that moots gave all it's riders mock turtle necks i'd have applied to been a team rider

dougyfresh said...

Ha. L. C. made it onto your blog.



Since when does Peter wear a bow-tie?

b-rack said...

what is that you are using as a condom on your micro inflate nano? it looks like the lid to some type of chain lube but i can't quite place it. I have often wondered the best way to keep mud out of the inflator.

dicky said...

It came with the inflator.