Pages

Wednesday, November 24

Garth Prosser ate my homework

Today I was hoping to do a part three to my bitch session about unfairness and stupidity in the cycling world, but I had a hard time finding any information about inept trail builders that take performance enhancing products.

Yesterday I wanted to let you in on an article I read about Garth "the source of all my problems" Prosser on MarathonMTB.com. I decided against posting a link yesterday as I felt like you, the reader, might think that I'm implying that Garth dopes. I would never do that, but I found it fascinating that Garth had a cover story as to why he's around doctors so much:

"I am a full time sales representative for a surgical video imaging equipment company, so I am in the operating room several days a week."

So now we know what the dreadlocks are for....

Sneaking blood bags out of the hospital.

Before I get to the bike stuff I want to mention that there are still some medium sleeveless Dicky's Death March jerseys left on Twin Six.

Like this, but without the sleeves.

To sweeten the deal I should mention that all day today Twin Six is having a 25% off sale, which means that the DDM jersey is only $56.25. That also means that everything else is 25% off as well, including the Dark Deluxe long sleeve jersey that I just added to my wardrobe yesterday.

As many years as I've been cycling this is my first ever cycling specific long sleeve jersey. It's made of a nice, soft, fleeced fabric, and its black color should be quite slimming as I start getting less and less slim over the winter.

Now about the bike.

The more astute readers amongst you might have noticed something special about the head tube dimensions on my drawing.

Yes, that is a 44mm inner diameter on my headtube. That could mean one of two things. The man (or woman) who drew this had no idea what he (or she) was doing, or that we're doing something special and "modern" with this frame. Let's go with option two.

It looks like I will have one more thing in common with wilderness animal molester and fellow 24 Hour Solo Single Speed World Champion Grig Martin.

Will we both be riding red bikes?

No...

But we will both be riding a with a combination zero stack upper cup/zero stack head tube compatible tapered lower headset from Cane Creek (although Grig is on the 44XX version while I hope to one up him with a 110).

According to the S.H.I.S. this would make it a ZS44/28.6~EC44/40. Don't know about the S.H.IS.? It's the new standard in bicycle standards. Read and learn. It should make life in the headset world a little easier. Notice that Chris King is not on board with the S.H.I.S.? Maybe after the ISIS debacle they're a little trepidatious about anything that sounds like a new standard. The good news is that unlike ISIS this actually works.

In an effort to bring as much stiffness to the front end as possible (without using solid tubing) we're going big on this bike. No more head tubes @ 90mm, this mighty mount will have 110mm of material to open up the front triangle a bit and create a more laterally stiff front end. That combined with a tapered fork should render a bike with maximal stiffness, which according to my junk mail inbox, is what every man wants to have and every woman desires.

Tapered fork? What is this? No more Niner crabon frok?

No, there will still be a Niner crabon frok in the picture, but this one here:


Well, not that one exactly, but one that looks just like it, tapered steer tube and all. I feel that I might just be jinxing myself by posting that information in a public manner, but George at Bike29 has assured me that the fork will be here long before the frame will show up. I'm still worried anyways since Niner crabon froks go faster than free tickets to Ozzfest handed out in a trailer park. George has never let me down, so I should rest easy as he tells me that "this should come together like a shitty Beatles song now available on iTUnes."

No posting over the holidays.

Gobble gobble and all that shit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you suck!


dd

George said...

I'm surprised you haven't started calling him Darth Prosser...

Vertigo Cycles said...

As a secret stalker and inventor of the XX44 headset I just wanted you to know that I'm taking credit for any top three placings you earn next year.

Luis G. said...

The more I see the 44mm HT, the more I think I should not have wussed out and gone back to specifying the 1 1/8"... Oh well too late. I'll just have to envy your stiff front end.

dicky said...

Well kudos and all that to you, Sean. I appreciate your brain stuff.

wv: andemszd

Fort James said...

Nice clue you dropped there. Hope you like your Engin! So surprised no one else caught that one.

Vertigo Cycles said...

I appreciate the entertainment you provide. I might have to put a bike under my buddy Chad and start some third party trash talk.

Can't wait to see your new bike BTW.

Anonymous said...

Hey ya pussy...it's not thanksgiving in Canada. Get to work!

jkeiffer said...

No worries that all that front end stiffy-ness will make your front end rigid-ness too bone-jarry and teef-chattery?

dicky said...

Not one worry.

I want to be as stiff up front as possible.

What are we talking about?