Pages

Monday, November 22

Sonya Looney Picture Friday (again on a Monday) and I actually rode a bike

So it's not a hottie photo... whatever. Sure, Sonya face announced that she's down in Brazil getting tan lines in her new bikini, but the best thing I could find was a picture of her with a joey in her pants.

I've been on three mountain bike rides since Thursday. First I got in a ride with The Boy... a pleasant but short ride at the Backyard Trails in CLT. Saturday I got out for a couple laps at Sherman, and since I was wearing a watch I tried to see just how fast I could go on the Superbeast. I've never paid close attention to my lap times before, so I have no base line to compare it to, especially a time from when I'm in shape and on my much lighter single speed. So it was basically a pointless pursuit.

Sunday I was in the Dirty Little Box headed up to Warrior Creek with Leyonce and Wirun when I mentioned to them I was really anxious to see the Federally funded contracted "work" that was done on Kitsuma (one of the major parts of ORAMM). I had read the thread on MTBR, and I wanted to see for myself if it was as bad as reported or if things were being blown out of proportion. Since we were headed in the right direction and we just wanted to get a ride in we rerouted and planned for three loops up and down Kitsuma.

I should mention that I had no idea I'd be going to Kitsuma when I left the house. Had I known I woulda brought a camera or the HD GoPro to document what we saw. Also keep in mind that I grabbed the Meatplow thinking I was going to the buff Warrior Creek trails, and I hadn't been on a single speed since Crank the Shield in early September.

When we got to the parking lot Wirun laid his bike down on the blacktop. He heard an unexpected noise and then started grumbling. Apparently the nut that held his top pivot bolt in place had rattled free, and the bolt fell to the ground when he set the bike down. We went to work looking through the Dirty Little Box for anything that had a similar nut. When that failed I popped the hood and we looked inside to see if we could borrow one for the ride. Although we found many suitable candidates we had no wrench with which we could retrieve said nut, so we loaded back up and spent the next hour and fifteen minutes driving around looking for a hardware store, auto parts store, Family Dollar... anything that might be open on a Sunday morning and might have a metric nut. Eventually we found a auto parts store that was open, did have the nut, and allowed us to borrow a socket set. In the interest of discussing Kitsuma I'll skip the part about gas reserve lights coming on, missing exits, and very apologetic store owners who seemed very disappointed that they could not fulfill our hardware needs.

After making quick work of the four mile paved climb while enjoying the leaf free views of the surrounding area we got to the bottom of the climb up the back of Kitsuma. I've been up this trail a couple dozen times, many of those on a single speed, and I can say it is quite difficult for how short it is... or I should say "was quite difficult." Normally I'm walking all but three or four of the many switchbacks on the way up. I can honestly say that the entire first climb on Kitsuma is now totally rideable on a single speed (32X19), although maybe someone like Will Black was already able to ride a single speed all the way up (I wouldn't know, I was way behind him at this year's ORAMM). The switchbacks have all been improved, and I would say that the work done looked solid, although I was looking forward to trying to tackle the old lines on the Superbeast.

Coming down was a different story. This line at the top used to be super gnarly and steep.

photo cred: Cathie Docherty

Now it is just plain steep. I wonder if the work done will matter in a few years. This section is so steep I can't see how it won't end up rutted and nasty again. Won't matter much to me. I liked it the way it was... a nice skill filter early on for ORAMM competitors.

A little further down the trail we came to a switchback I stopped trying to ride many years ago. It was washed away, steep, and exposed. Now it looks like this:

photo cred: Tony Moll

That photo was ripped from Tony's blog. I actually think this is the second exposed and washed away switchback, but the work done was similar. I have no idea how long that wood will last or how that section will hold up to water. I also wonder when the government is paying a professional contractor to do the work just how long it should last. Although I'm sure the 1% of the riders who could negotiate the turn before the work are pissed because it's been "dumbed down" the work really needed done. Maybe not done in this manner, but time will tell.

Then came the "deep death wheel sucking holes" as I would like to call them. Think rolling grade dip on steroids. They pretty much eat up a wheel 26-29" in diameter and try to stop all forward momentum. The way they were built they are hard to negotiate using any skill I've ever acquired. I couldn't manual, pre-jump, or just roll them at speed. Horrid. Dangerous for a new rider to attempt? Sure. They're hard to see, they're on a FAST section of trail, and Kitsuma sees a lot of traffic (we saw a few slightly more novice riders while we were out there). They came up in sections that made absolutely no sense (to me) and a couple of them were 3/4 of the way through some tight downhill turns. Not sure what to say about that.

I'll agree with a lot of what was said on MTBR. There was work done where nothing was wrong with the original trail. Some of the work has actually made the trail appear to be less erosion resistant and pointlessly more dangerous. I've seen quality work in Pisgah before. I don't think this is it.

BTW: I am not a professional trail builder... far from it. Maybe this is how things are done and in a year everything will be ridden in and perfect. Maybe buried logs last decades, and we'll all be super stoked about this work at some point in the future. For now... meh.

Another BTW: Leyonce said he's getting a new bike for the 2011 ORAMM:



Should be perfect for Kitsuma.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

This sort of thing JUST happened out at my favorite trails in the Syllamo system over in Arkansas. There has been some extensive work done- good and bad- but it all shakes down to there being a 1.5 mile section of trail that used to be rocky and technical, and now it's essentially a 3' wide dirt path that you could ride on a CX bike.
The way I see it, improving something that's essentially dangerous and rideable by only 1% of people is tolerable. However, usually those types of "improvements" end up spreading to other parts of the trail that really don't need it.

CB2 said...

One of Dougy and my favorite spots was just "improved". They removed some sweet FDR era bench cut, a challenging switchback and raked a new trail with no flow whatsoever. I'm not a trail builder, and didn't show up for the the maintenance day, so I don't know if I have the knowledge or right to complain. But it was a lot more fun before.

Big Bikes said...

There's a video out there somewhere of Pisgah-local Patrick McMahon and some buddies riding Kitsuma after the trail work. At the bottom Patrick starts talking all sorts of smack about how it sucks now, then his buddy who had never ridden Kitsuma before, or was just kind of a rookie comes rolling up and commences to gush effusively about how great it was. Patrick just starts laughing his ass off.

Sorry I didn't get to ride it before it got all gentrified.

- t

dicky said...

Before video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naux7FzEUqk

After video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llebBA7HWAU

You can see the ride in the second video hitting the "deep death wheel sucking holes."

brado1 said...

Recumbent Downhill! yeah i'd hate to see an endo on one of those! Buzzsaw to the crotch and backside

WV: dwariz

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they use the same suspension on the recumbent mountain bike as they do on a Lazyboy recliner.

dougyfresh said...

I am not a trail builder either but it pisses menoff lately when a difficult obstacle gets dumbed down and the trail becomes more susceptible to erosion.

That switchback sweeping turn thing CB2 mentioned. It took me 2 years to figure out how to ride up it on either my SS or a geared bike. Now it's gone in favor for some stupid bypass.

This brings up a gripe I have. I'll write about it tonight.

Emily said...

Trailbuilders can only do so much damage (or improvement) to a mountain. Against the relentless pressures of weather, gravity, and vegetation the modifications of humans will only do so much.
It's a devastating shift in the short run but give it the winter and see what happens. Kitsuma will revive.
We should be very angry the work was authorized, though. Let's not let it happen to another treasured trail.

Shane S. said...

That's some bad news about Kitsuma. I did my first ever ORAAM this year and absolutely loved the technical aspect of the trail. I actually rode all but one switchback of the trail in my preride on my SS 34-21, but didn't make as many in the event due to the traffic directly in front. I guess I don't have to tell you that sucks. I thought being in the top 20 or so at the start folks would have had a little more tech skill. I'm sure given a few seasons the trail will be back to "normal". I've seen it happen before.

dicky said...

34X21 eh?

I wanted to do a pre-ride on a 32X20 before the race (never ran that gear before), but when we went up there I forgot to swap put the cogs.

Certainly is different in traffic. Even with a more "select" group on the climb it's still quite hard. Everybody around you is granny gearing to the corners while you need to fly into them with some momentum. Single speeding sucks y'all.

The corners are way easier now. This bodes well for me.

Matt said...

This just means I'm running my rigged-ed fork at oramm this year. And no prick from behind me will scream "if you dont know the lines get the F&CK out of my way" because they killed all the lines. Man up, come race Syllamo, and quit being a pussy.

We have been letting you slide on reminding you of your pussyness.

Chris said...

I haven't been out to Kitsuma yet, so I can't speak to it directly, but I learned quite a bit from the IMBA Trail Care Crew seminar in Statesville this weekend.

When fresh-cutting, you're looking for approx. 2 ft. of bench that will become 18" or so of tread when the lines get ridden in. You cut 2 ft. vertical and 2 ft. wide as an "L" for the trail. Then you go back and cut down the 2 ft. of vertical into the sidehill, to create sheet flow for the water. And you clear the dowhill edge of the trail of debris, because that is the weakest point of the trail. So you're looking at a 6-8 ft. trail corridor to start ... which, especially in a place like Pisgah, will narrow within a year or two.

Sounds and looks to me like this is more than that -- which won't be good for creating true lines. Nor does it sound like the corners are properly armored. And true grade reversals enhance flow, not slow it down by eating your front wheel ...