Pages

Friday, December 3

Not even a mention of Sonya Looney Friday

Much to the chagrin on my more lust ridden readers there will be no more attempts to sexy up the blog with planned purpose and pilfering of a particular rider's Facebook photos... unless she posts a really good one, and then I will go back on my word.

The other day I mentioned starting a thread on MTBR regarding my issues with chain droppage associated with the SRAM 2x10 X9 drivetrain on my Tallboy AKA the Superbeast. Now I coulda posted it on the 29'er forum as I am running the aforementioned equipment on a 29'er, but I tend to get irritated when people post queries on the 29'er forum that aren't quite technically a 29'er issue. The forum gets clogged with inane matters like "Which saddle should I run on my Monocog?" or "Craziest thing you found on the trail." I can not condone such behavior or contribute in such a manner, although I realize that the 29'er forum is one of the most active forums on MTBR and as such even stupid questions (like mine) will get more views there.

I took my matter to the much more appropriate drivetrain forum, and I posted this:

Category Winner

teamdicky's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,843
Issues with 2X10 chain drop?

Trying to figure something out.

I've got the full X9 drivetrain. I have severe issues with chain drop. All the limits are set up correctly.

It seems as if the P-tension spring (cage spring) isn't strong enough. I can drop the rear end of the bike on the ground and the chain comes off the front ring no matter where the chain is on the cassette.

Obviously I'm dropping the chain to the inside and the outside on rough trails.

The chain is as short as it can get.

I've spoke with one other person who has a similar problem, but he is the only one I know personally with a decent amount of time on SRAM 2X10.

Am I alone here?

What am I missing?

The only response I got for quite awhile was the chirping of internet crickets, and then I got this gem:

That doesn't sound right at all. Did you buy the parts from a shop? New bike? If so, take it to the shop and see what they say.

Meh.

Does this guy know who I am? How could he not know who I am? My fingers hovered over the keyboard in sweaty anticipation as I tried to control my urge to quote Ron Burgundy.



"I have many leather bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Instead of going into self righteous MTBR attack mode I responded as follows:

New bike, I built it, and I've built a lot of bikes. The set-up is on.

My friend has affirmed the same situation after a year on XX.

The next response made me want to walk away from the internet forever:

? Chain a bit long

One of my biggest issues about MTBR? People who do not read the whole post or thread and then respond with a post that clearly proves that they did not retain the information I posted since I happened to mention that "The chain is as short as it can get." in my first post.

That was all I got after my post had been up for one day. I was a bit concerned that I would get no further, but on day two the responses perked up and started getting informative, if not slightly more validating. I even had a representative of MRP/Eko Sport do a bang up job on the marketing shill end by posting a photo of a new product that would solve half my problems.

Eventually one poster suggested I try something that I actually kinda thought of around the same time that he posted. I needed to see if there was any way to adjust the spring tension by changing the spring mounting location as I did with some old Shimano derailleur BACK IN THE DAY (that was for you Brado).

I broke out an old XTR derailleur and compared the tension to my X9.

It was more tensier, or tensish, or tensioneder... whichever sounds better.

I then took apart my X9 derailleur and took a look at it.

Well look at that. The spring is located in one of those holes making me think that if I move the spring to another hole I could add tension just like we did BACK IN THE DAY. But first... let's call SRAM.

Firstly, I must say how awesome it is that a large company like SRAM has a contact number on their website.

Secondly, it it much more awesomer that a human picks up the phone and says "SRAM technical support, ***** speaking. How can I help you?"

Thirdly, it was most awesomest that ***** was able to help me. He told me that changing the spring location was not an option (although I would like to test that theory). He also said it is a warranty situation, so I should contact my shop and handle it there.

Undertensioned spring. There you have it. I await new parts and the eventual satisfaction of riding my Tallboy without having the chain flopping about my lower carbon bits like a thrashing master of disaster metallic snake... no matter how I solve the problem.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that calling customer service would have had a better response then the powerful MTBR? huh.

Andrea said...

TITS OR GTFO

Anonymous said...

If you were still riding on SS's you would have more time to find "really good" Sonya pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I have forgotten the myriad pleasures of riding a geared mountain bike.

wv:soesse (kaiser of course)

Anonymous said...

1 x 10 with MRP chain keeper...been working great.

wv: bless

Grant

Chris said...

OK, first off, you know me, and you didn't ask. I'm hurt. Seriously.

And second, ***** is the best customer service person they have. They're all pretty awesome, but ***** is the sh!t. Well, except for @@@@@.

Rick said...

I hope that works out for you. My biggest mtbr gripe is misspelling, especially in the thread title. I won't even open those threads.

Anonymous said...

Not that I would ever, but it is crazy how many images comes from Dicky's blog on a image search for Sonya.

There is even a picture of DJ's ass in the list.

nickleonard said...

my experience with sram warranty is way better than my shimano experience with warranty. sounds like you may have just experienced the good end. don't ever tell the shimano guy at qbp that you have a xtr der with a coil thread repair kit installed in the cable retaining bolt and it came that way from the factory. that guy will deny it even though you have 6 of them sitting at the shop that all have them.

indiefab said...

My response to your chain problem was forwarded to the MTBR thread.

More importantly, please clear up the rumor that says that Anchorman clip is ACTUALLY a film of your first meeting with Sonya. I heard it on MTBR, so it must be true.

Emily said...

classic MTBR technical question thread. no matter the question one person will say your shop sucks and/or you are an idiot, one person will say you need to buy something new, and one person will offer some janky solution involving hacksaws and wingnuts.

SRAM has the best customer service in the industry, for real. I broke a shifter right before Xmas a couple years ago and they had a new one in the mail before New Years. Fantastic people over there.

Sonya said...

'bout time you got bored! Sonya Looney photo stalking is over-rated. ;) If you could hack into my computer, well, that'd be another story. hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

So, the trick to get Sonya to appear is not not have her appear?

I think she was here to see your other picture of your T-shirt.

Anonymous said...

nothing really to add but the WV was to good to pass up

WV: sestr (as in hide yo' wifes hide yo' sestr hide yo' husbands too, cuz they rape'n everyone up in here)

Anonymous said...

I didn't read your whole post, but surely your chain is just too long?

Take it back to the shop that you bought it from, and have them shorten it for you.

That, or post a question on MTBR - great advice over there.

Do yourself a favour. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

you suck!

jkeiffer said...

Please work on your hacking skills! Maybe someone on the 29er forum can suggest some good hacking books/courses?

Anonymous said...

Okay this is interesting and all but it seems as though Brian Lopes is now racing CX? Perhaps his royal dickness has some insight? Has cross "jumped the shark"?

Ride High said...

Niki Gudex

Thats all i gotta say

Anonymous said...

How have you all missed the sonya nip picture??