Which is why this bugs the shit out of me:
I wanted to saw the end off old-school style, but the shifter end of the grip looked integral to the actual shifter itself.
photo swiped irrelevantly from BIKE RUMOR
The other end has a lock-on, so no bueno with the hacksaw as well.
I scratched my head, tried to figure out a solution, dug out some way old ODI Ruffian Grip Shift length lock-ons, worried about the "integral" part of the system, almost made a litany of bad decisions on my own, looked up SRAM's digits, called...
Well, shit. I went to work Thursday and waited for SRAM to open their doors. I called once more.
"You need to install the blanking ring if you want to run aftermarket grips."
"The blanking ring that came in the box?"
"The what that came in the what?"
"The part that can't be ordered or replaced that should have been in your box but apparently wasn't. You're welcome."
Two more calls to SRAM, a tossing of all boxes, packing material, bags, manuals and whatnot. None of the SRAM employess could tell me exactly what it looked like so I would know it if I saw it.
Ironically enough, I found an image of a "blanking ring" while writing this post today.
So an unplanned stop at Bike Source last night, my third visit there in under a week. I inquired into the possibility of an inquiry. That will happen today.
I went with a new solution. I bought wider bars...
with "Braaaaaaaaaap" inspiring rise
to mount to my negative rise stem
with spacers underneath.
The Drooper post was wired up without a hitch (that's a lie). The brakes lines still need shortened and that in and of itself is a risk VS reward job I will contemplate later, as I intend to ride this bike tomorrow.
So either a ride report next week, or just another weekend as usual with a little short track spectertating on Sunday.