Pages

Tuesday, February 26

Relearning Curve

So I did ride this past weekend.

Twice.

Saturday's ride was only one hour and twenty minutes, but the story of said ride may be worthy of a Dirt Rag article.  Thusly, sharing with the class would not be in my best interest.

Let's just say that I was having a breakdown similar to Cameron Frye at around 1:50 in the afternoon.



Saturday's short ride left me wanting for more.  I had yet to get out for a proper shake down on the newly restored to better than its former glory Misfit diSSent Brontoawesomeous Meatplow V.5 and in all honesty, it was killing me.  The heavy rains had pretty much closed down every trail within a half hour from my house, so I needed to drive.  I sought companionship amongst my fellow Faster Mustachi.
Two committed.

Then one bailed for adult reasons.

Then one more bailed without anymore notification than this:

To be young again...

So, I was on my own.  I was prepared for as much.  In the car non-stop for an hour enjoying Beastie Boys on Pandora, out of the car and on the bike in less than five minutes.  The joys of solo travel.

This was my first real ride back on a rigid bike since September.  That was too long.  Uwharrie is the roughest smooth trail in North Carolina.  I'm not going to bother to explain that.  Let's just say, I was feeling it less than a couple miles into the ride.  Making matters worse, my gearing was not the right choice by any means.

38X21 is close to a 32X17.5 on a trail I would normally ride with a 32X19... mebbe even 20.

Regardless.

It took awhile for me to get used to the rigid bike.  The FSR EVO had done me wrong in two ways.

It made me lazy.  Line selection was something I had apparently forgotten.

It made me entirely too conscience of pedal placement/strike.  The low bottom bracket had shied me away from my "mash and forget" style of riding.  I had to flip the switch and remember that my BB sits high and remains static.  Boner bonus.

Better as the day progressed.  Solid by the end of the ride.

I even bumped into occasional local SS nemesis and fellow 2013 Trans-Sylvania Epic racer, BC aboard his new Scalpel.  He was just out for such and such time, so he turned around and joined me.  Now on a loop riding with and sometimes behind a strong rider on a squishy/shifty made for some entertaining near misses.  His lines were not necessarily in my best interest.  It had its moments, but it was much better than being alone with my thoughts, most of them dirty.

I've missed my rigid bike.  I'm gonna need to get some more time on it ASAP... before the shit goes down.  The next few weekends are tight.

March 2-3 ~ Cleveland/Ray's/The Boy
March 9 ~ Tour duh Charlotte and hangover
March 16-17 ~ Kurt's B-Day/camping
March 30-31 ~ OPEN
April 6-7 ~ 6 Hours of Warrior Creek/Anniversary

Then another Canadian Invasion, the Big Frog 65, PMBAR, Pisgah 111k/55.5, TSE....

It all just starts happening now.

I need to get my shit together ASAP.


1 comment:

ritchie said...

only a dumbass would list warrior creek in front of his anniversay! don't let the wife see it....