Pages

Tuesday, May 3

Not you brekkie

I'm trying something different this year.  I'm swapping up my pre-race breakfast food... or at least this time to see how it goes and maybe future forward.  In the past, I've done Chocolate Fudge Pop Tarts, Honey Stinger Waffles, oatmeal, Subway breakfast sammiches, bagels... I dunno.  All kinds of things.  Mostly lazy things.  Probably entirely. 

The hardest thing about choking back breakfast before a race is just trying to get it down.  I've got enough things to be worried about, so I'm not a fan of breaking out my camping stove (except to make a gigantic French press of coffee).  I certainly don't want to get up 45 minutes early to make myself a "decent breakfast."  I want something that goes well with my coffee and can be eaten while wandering around my car, tent, hammock... wherever.

So this is what I'm trying this Saturday before one of the most important races (to me), PMBAR.

 Not my actual cookies, but close enough. 

No-Bakes.  What's in them?

1 3/4 Cup(s) granulated sugar ~ 1,352 calories

1 sticks margarine or butter ~ 805 calories... 92 grams of fat

1/2 Cup(s) Low-fat milk ~ 45 calories

1/3 Cup(s) baking cocoa ~ 48 calories

3 Cup(s) quick oats ~ 474 calories... 30 grams of protein

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter ~ 1,520 calories... 56 grams of protein and 128 grams of fat

1 tsp vanilla ~ who cares?

So, somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 calories in an entire batch.  I can shovel more of these things into my face than I'd like to admit.  Enough that when Nia wakes up in the morning, she usually yells, "DAD ATE ALL THE COOKIES!"

Anyways, gleaning what I can from a casual perusal of all the nutrition information, they ain't all that bad.  Plenty of protein, carbs and fat to stoke the fires.  Oatmeal?  Who doesn't know how good oatmeal is for them.  Peanut butter?  Simply ambrosia.

Yeah, that butter and sugar thing.  Whatever.  Let's just think of it as the glue that holds this thing together and move on.

Other things I had considered were cold pizza and tater tots.  Problem being, as much as I could wake up and eat either of those things with much unbridled exuberance, they don't go with coffee IMHOMO.  Both of them require some sort of bubbly beverage to wash them down.  My absolute favorite things to eat with coffee are pretty much peanut butter toast (which only lasts for a few sips and I don't have a toaster in the woods), cookies, and actual coffee cake (which is messy and doesn't have half as many marks in the "plus column" as No-Bakes).

No-Bakes are a No-Brainer.  I don't know why I haven't been doing this the whole time, assuming I don't shit myself this weekend and prove this to be a trbl idea.

6 comments:

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

How much weed are you supposed to add, or is that implied...?

Anonymous said...

It's in the "butter".

rick is! said...

i like. filing this one away for later.

Anonymous said...

hollysht... if I eat those things I'd flake out like a marshmallow... chunky monkey... lots of calories. Calories are for the winter dude! peanut butter for the summer, I live off of peanut butter in the summer and milk plus some cold ones after a good ride...

Dax said...

I'm pretty sure you could substitute honey for the sugar and you would be winning even more with this recipe.

steve said...

the low fat milk makes it low calorie, atleast.