Pages

Friday, October 20

Off to the Fisting of Cycles

I'm heading to Cyclofest tomorrow... or Cyclo Fap Fest.. or Cyclo Fist... or Cyclo Fap Fist.

What have you.

I coulda planned on going to the mountains with Bill Nye, but I decided this is where my time would be best spent.  I'm honestly considering the purchase of a full suspension mountain bike in the near future.  Instead of just looking at pretty pictures, reading a few reviews, and plunking down the plastic, I thought it would be smart to try and test ride a few bikes before I make a (quickly) regrettable and money wasting decision.  This is my chance to ride the few bikes I've narrowed myself down to back to back to back to back to back...

That is, assuming I have the umption to follow through with the whole demo thing.

The idea of standing in line, waiting my turn, basically just being a regular choad at Cyclo Fist...

Nothing against the choads.  I'm no better than anyone else and am just a choad myself, quite honestly.  I'm just not a fan of waiting in line for any consumable good or experience.  It forces me to consider just how badly I want something, and nine outta ten times, I'm pretty sure I don't want it that bad.  I once stepped outta line at a register with a pair of shorts, put them back and walked out.  Too much time being a "consumer" doing some "consuming" for me.

If I walk past some free left over lunch outside a conference room at work, and everyone is clamoring over the hot trays of chicken, salmon, or whatever, I walk on by with my pride or whatever it is in tact. 

But if it's a box lunch with a ten dollar sammich and some chips just sitting there all alone?

Mine.

I don't know if I'm going to have time to demo all the bikes I'd like to while I'm there.

Santa Cruz: Bronson, 5010, Hightower (29) and Hightower LT

A brand that's near and dear to my heart.  I've owned a Bullit, Superlight, Tallboy and briefly, a Nomad.  I raced 24 Hour Solo for them in a very grass roots manner before moving on to Ellsworth, and I've always respected their whole "not changing shit for the sake of change" mentality.

Mondraker: Foxy

Mondraker is new to the US this year.  The Foxy looks dope as hell and has great reviews.  Where they spec SRAM on some models, they still gave the nod to Shimano brakes.  That saves me a step down the road 

Pivot: Mach 5.5 and 429 Trail

Pivot just makes dope shit.  Lotsa Shimano spec'ed bikes.  So well thought out.  Simply yummy.

I know those bikes are all over the place as far as wheel size and travel.  At least they all have one water bottle cage (where a human can reach it), and a model that sits at my price point...

Which may be dumb.

Certain changes in my life might make the ownership of another bike (especially of this type) quite the illogical thing to pursue.  Despite this, I feel like I need to follow through on this opportunity to try them out before I might make a bad decision or not.  Even if I don't end up buying something, the worst thing would be that I spent a day riding bikes.

Which is never a bad thing to do.

So if you see me standing around the demo area drinking a beer before noon, slap it outta my hand and push me into a line of fellow choads.  I'll thank you later.

And of course, I realize that no matter what, this might not end well.  I've been telling myself that a full suspension bike with all the moving pieces might be good medicine.  Mebbe my body would appreciate the break from all the wear and tear of riding rigid/hardtail/single speed.

I honestly don't know.

But I've been told so by a man (not) much older, slightly balder, and infinitely wiser... so there's that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich- if you buy another full suspension bike, can I point my finger at you and laugh out loud? Especially after you sell it as fast as you did the Specialized?

Mike B.

Anonymous said...

History shows that dicky dabbling in full suspension makes for excellent blog fodder. As a frequent reader I urge you to proceed down this road once again. Godspeed.

Rob said...

Looking forward to the FS thread on trailblazers...

Anonymous said...

You don’t need a FS. You’ve already been down that path. Many times. Too many. But I understand you’re getting soft. Fortunately, Moots makes a bike especially for people like you with softening behind:

http://moots.com/bike/mooto-x-ybb-29/

Anonymous said...

What are these real life adult issues you keep alluding to in yo blog?
The suspense is so real. Cliffhanger like as if!

runninggunner said...

I love reading your trials and tribulations with FS. But reading your post this morning then Vernon's column this evening...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding-rigid-is-ridiculous-opinion.html

Good luck either way.

And thanks for the motivation to drink beer then ride bikes, or just drink beer...

roadpig said...

Choad racer boy on a FS ...