Pages

Wednesday, October 24

SSWC '18 Bend: Part Two

Disclaimer:  From here on out, details are hazy.  I took zero notes, so times, places, people, etc... who knows?  This is my best guess.

Bill Nye is sleeping off his yesterday/yesternight.  I'm not making the 9:00 AM ride, being that it's 8:00 AM already.  I decide to head out on foot and check out our surroundings.  Bike shop, thrift store, strip club, people living in their vehicles behind the finest Econolodge in Bend... so much to see and do.  Come back check on Bill Nye... still alive.  Still not moving.  Wait.

Eventually, he stirs.  It looks like we can make the group ride at 3:00 PM.  Huzzah.

Ride over to the Crow's Feet Commons, pick up our registration bags, ride them back to the hotel, and mebbe just a half hour late, roll out on the group ride basically on time SSWC style.

The ride immediately reminds me of the chaotic ride through San Francisco at the '08 Worlds.  The locals are riding to beat all with us outta towners in chase, riding all over the place through a park.  Over a bridge and the next thing I know, we're sorta outta town on a dirt path.  The pace still... enthusiastic.

We roll into Phil's Trailhead and regroup.  The speed at which we commence from there pushes me close to my limit, Bill Nye and a few others lag behind.  I have no idea how far out we got, but at one regrouping point, a group left to go out further and another cut back towards town.  Bill Nye and a couple other stragglers were still MIA.  I wait for them, they arrive, and as we all discuss the fact that we kinda don't know where we are (we all have smart phones, so we're okay), then local Dave shows up to guide us home.

At yet another regrouping point, I'm looking over my bike... and there's a funny wiggle on my left pedal.

"Is it just coming loose?"

"Ummmmmmm... no."

The aluminum insert in my Race Face Next SL cranks is coming unbonded.  4.5+ years of use and it decides to shit the bed on day one of an almost week long trip.

"What time is the shop open until, Dave?"

"6:00..."

It's 5:35.

"... but I got the keys to the shop.  We'll get it sorted out."

I ride as carefully as I can until I get off the trail, and then I beeline it to the shop... dusting Bill Nye and some of the others in the process.  They're all grownups.  They'll be fine.

Get to the shop, they check their stock, they have an aluminum Turbine... just like the spare one I have at home.  Meh.

"What about the carbon Next R one I saw in a display case?"

"Ummmm... yeah.  175.  You're in luck."

Sorry, but I didn't wanna downgrade to a crank that I already have at home in a box.

So, I stand back and watch as they fix it all up... no charge?  Seems like a $20 tip is in order for that kinda service.  Probably more.  Last minute install, staying open late, not one wince or a detectable sigh.

Aside from a couple someones trying to pop a circlip back into my brake lever, this is the first time someone other than me has worked on this bike.

Some might bemoan such an unexpected situation on a vacation, but I felt blessed.

Bill Nye gets to the shop somewhere in there, we head home after the repair, clean up... head to the Volcanic Theatre Pub where something may or may not be going on... with a stop at the closer-to-our-motel 10 Barrel Brewing on the way.  It's butt-ass-cold, but we press on further into the night.  The weren't a whole lotta single speeders paying the ten dollar cover at the Volcanic TP (it was just a suggestion anyways), so we end our night at the nearby Good Life Brewing.

And by "end our night," I mean that I rode the 2.5 miles home in 35°+ temps in flip flops and bare knees.  At least I left the sunglasses at home this time AND brought lights.

Bill Nye and I are finding our Bend groove, I guess.

1 comment:

glen said...

cool, sorry bout yer cranks!