Pages

Friday, June 21

Step Up

If you're looking for a "ho-hum" type update, please read onwards.

With the cancellation... I mean "rescheduling" of the Greenway Classic a couple weeks ago, my streak of racing, recovering (sorta), racing, recovering (mebbe), racing, recovering (not really) pretty much ended.  I'd planned on keeping it up, and now that I haven't...

Well, I have nothing close to a respectable plan.

Things are now hot and humid enough in the morning that if I go out looking for junk miles before work, I'd need to come home, shower, and then cool off before getting dressed and jumping into my commute.  Otherwise, my clothes would be super-saturated in stank, and my coworkers would despise me that much more than they already do.

I've been looking for races to fill in the gaps.  Nothing for a couple weekends, and then I'm heading to that underground stage race that I can talk about afterwards but not so much beforehand.

#embargo

I thought about using the fitness gained from all those long days in the saddle towards something else later in July... like mebbe ORAMM, but I don't think I can.  I've done it so many times in the past, so other than the chance to do it in the 50+ class, it's a hard sell at $140 for "one more time."  It really is a great course (for me), and doing the Pisgah Enduro™ on so many of the same trails made me feel all nostalgic and whatnot for those glory days.

But all he kept talking about...

That leaves me with a huge month plus gap till the Breck Epic, where I'll be duo'ing it with Chris M in the 50+ class.

Race to keep the motivation going to stay fit.  Stay fit so riding is more pleasant.  Ride because I don't think I remember how to play volleyball.

As if any of that matters.

Oh.

On the day of my actual birthday, things went as expected.  I paid bills, folded laundry, went to work, found a zit on my cheek, and came home to a puppy-destroyed, back porch flip flop.  Good times.  I also was (predictably) glum.  Hard not to acknowledge the ticking off of another 100,000 miles on the motor... at least for me.  I'm just shit at actual birthdays.  As much as I might remind myself that a day spent moping around is a day wasted, I'll still allow myself that.

I came home to a Pie that was dressed up, and she dragged my out to eat at a local establishment, refusing to let me wallow in my filth any more than I already had.  I did appreciate that.

Better mood on Tuesday for sure (and the rest of the week) and already thinking mebbe sixty won't be so trbl.

Got to halp build this on Wednesday, which means I still can contribute to the greater good, even at my advanced age.

I'll never ride it, but whatever.

1 comment:

TJ Morton said...

Happy belated Dickster. Enjoy the embargoed, underground stage race!