Pages

Wednesday, August 21

Breck Epic '19: Stage Three

I love this day.  It's my absolute favorite.  Yes, there is a ton of walking but I get two of my all time favorite descents in one big, absolutely marvelous day.

I also get to spend a fair amount of time on my feet traveling at almost the same speed as anyone around me on a bike might be capable of maintaining up Mt Guyot.

We made some moves from the start and ended up passing the leaders in the Duo 100+ class.

Obviously, not a smart move.  We should probably back off a bit...

Anyways, I remember this day as well as any.  I tell Chris to be careful going down Little French, a place I've flatted three outta seven (now eight) times.  I let him know that despite the flat-looking approach to Mt Guyot, it is anything but.  We hike up, he crushes the downhill on the backside... losing a tube in the process.  Pick up an new one at the Aid Station, and I start getting up the next climb ahead of Chris.  I know what's next, and despite my penchant for getting down this upcoming descent, he's gonna catch me.

Or flat.

But hopefully catch me.

See goats at the top of Something Pass doing goat stuff.

Down and past a couple riders near the top, then dispatch a few more before a train of fast guys blow my doors off.  Into my favorite of the lower chunder gnar, around a few walking riders... and then out to the gravel road.

No Chris.

I coast down the gravel road hoping he will close the gap before we get to the next Aid.  I almost have a high speed, wash out, rock tossing, death wobble accident.  Then I don't.

"Nice save," says the rider who comes around after I get done dancing with the devil.

"Thanks, but I really had nothing to do with saving myself."

Chris catches me right before we pull into the Aid Station.  He actually almost suffered the same odd fate of sudden death somewhere behind me.

Neat.

Roll outta there, up Something Something Gulch, on to the Gawdawful Flume which is littered with tiny, loose stones that are doing everything to dislodge my spleen from its proper location with repetitive dull blows.  Up another Something Something Gulch and loads of diddy bopping trail later, we reach the finish line.

photo cred: Chris M
L-R: Dean "The Legend" Cahow (has done every BE), Dick, Not So Sad Scott Williams.

3rd on the day and solidly in 3rd overall in the Duo 100+

"solidly"

No comments: