Pages

Thursday, November 14

You will not read all this.

Mebbe I should enjoy working on my bikes.  It's not like I have some other handyman hobby, like woodwork, making duct tape wallets, or...

Just like that, I've exhausted my entire knowledge base of being handy.

I know I was thinking I had my tire situation all figured out recently, but after considering every tire I have mounted, in the laundry room hanging on the wall, mounted on spare wheels, and stashed away in the bench, I decided I needed to change some things.

Like all the things.

But as I thought about the whole mess, it was becoming quite the process.  This tire on this bike off and replaced with this tire from that bike and that bike gets the tire from this storage location and the wheels hanging in The Pie's office get...

If I let myself dive into the rabbit hole of the sequence of moves, I would find myself staring into the darkness while lying in bed instead of getting some broken up by dog activity sleep.  So I avoided doing anything until last night while The Pie was at yoga, so I could have the whole place to myself to make messes and run the compressor every five minutes, much to the annoyance of my neighbors.

What did I end up with?

The Vassago Meatplow V.8 now has .75 lbs less rotating weight while still having some girthy meats.  I'm a tiny man, and spinning those super aggressive tires up a mountain and re-accelerating them constantly on local trails was making me feel like not firing ze missiles.  It's not like I'm in shape right now, unless you consider round as a shape.

The Hydra wheels came off the Vertigo Meatplow V.7, tires replaced with shart tarck appropriate rubber... even tho it's months away, and I don't even know if I'm racing.  I just don't like the way wheels look hanging on hooks without tires on them.

The Torch/NOX wheels went back on the Vertigo Meatplow V.7 with a Minion DHR 3.0 up front and a 2.6 Rekon on the rear... mebbe.  The clearance is pretty tight with a 32 X 19 gear, but since I don't have a crunk on the bike, I can't go spin it around and see if it rubs... so there's that.

All that really matters here is that when I went to bed last night, I was no longer thinking about tires.

Now, on to the next pointless distraction.

7 comments:

Doug M. said...

hooray for 2% less bike mess, and hooray for girth meats

TheMutt said...

I read all this

Anonymous said...

you b right

glen said...

that made me tired...

thekettleblackest said...

Howdy,
What meats did you put on the Vassago?

TJ Morton said...

I read it all too. Tires . . . so much to contemplate!

dicky said...

@thekettleblackest

Forekaster 2.8 front, 2.8 Rekon rear... for now.