Pages

Wednesday, May 20

Shit advice

Today is my first day off of twelve in a row before we go into every an other week, phase two protocol at work.

Twelve days.

I haven't had this much consecutive time off since I was in between jobs back when The Boy (who's now 28) was going into kindergarten.  Of course it starts with rain and closed trails.  Rain on the menu for the next hundred days or so.

Anyways, ain't wrote about much other than my late friend for awhile, so here's a packed sammich full of shit.

This was a turd section of trail that had been stuck in my craw for some time.

That I didn't have time to deal with on the day I took that picture.

A few days later, it looked like this:

More people riding more trails after more rain.   Appreesh.

I'd bumped into Leaf Life and Courtney on some ride, and we agreed to assemble in the morning to build the Mini-Poo Track line we'd be thinking on for awhile.

Mini-Poo.  Poo Tracks.  Poo.  It's a Charlotte thing.  Also shit trails in garbage woods.

Scott and Bayer had helped us out (as well as cleaning up the trail over to Mini Loop and the Poo Tracks... Mini and Poo not to be confused with Mini-Poo), so we still had plenty of time on our hands... so we packed up our shit and directed our efforts towards the craw sticker.

Which had gotten even worse.   Gawdammit.

 Leaf and I started at 1:00PM.

Dig, dig, dig... shove, shove, shove... toss, toss, toss...

2:00PM

Two man hours of labor to peal back all the sluicy shit and find the trail surface and slope it to shed water and dig two drains to keep it from happening again and...

Leaf reminded me that there's more spots more or less just like this or with the potential to be like this soon enough, especially if more people are still going in the woods... and riding when the trail is closed.  This corner fucking rails again, so that's all that matters to me.

The blood of a helmet-less e-biker that judged the rippled pavement poorly.

I only mention this because as The Pie and I saw him rip by, I wondered if he had the chops to control his machine at such speeds.  The answer was no.  When we came around the corner, he was standing there trying to get his battery and chain back on... and bleeding profusely at the face.  He didn't want help tho, so there's that.

Bill Nye joined me on my eternal quest to increase the shitty jumps per mile ratio at the Backyard Trails.

Two shitty jumps built that day...

And I took the time to shut down a go-around line that had popped up on this already too wide rooty, rocky bit.

Old line to the right of the tree, a "newer" line to the left... and a total go-around blazed to the extreme left by people that hate mountain biking apparently.

Bill Nye pointed out the irony that when I build a new jump, I always put in a go-around to keep it from being mandatory... but then I'm shutting down a go-around to make a "feature" mandatory again.

Whatever.

Jon Danger sampling our goods later that day.

My little friends kept me nice and busy all week.  They even got me to finally put my bike on my car and drive to a trail to finally ride something other than the BYT. 

And two days later, Nick and I went full Covid protocol driving up to Wilson Creek.

I ain't never seen so many people up there.  It was hard to find a place to leave the car.

Anyways...

We got the goods, and I rode Beehive for the first time in probably a decade.   So steep.  So good...

Been a long time since I had to down-hike something.

And to top off the good news, I finally got to ride my rigid frok bike without my hand hurting me.

I missed this bike so much.  With the new wheels, it just feels sooooooo fast.  Everything felt right in the world... well, except all that's wrong with the world now.  It's a lot easier to turn all that off in the woods tho.

And speaking of all that's right in the world...

I finally took Bill Nye's advice and bought a bidet.  He'd been constantly reminding me how wonderful they are ever since his last trip to Japan that convinced him that he had to own one for himself.  Like a true American, I clung to my toilet paper like it was the Imperial System of Measurement.  I didn't care if other countries were doing something better, I was doing something because...

America?

Treat yourself.  They can be had for less than the price of a new mountain bike tire.

2 comments:

HandyMan said...

Yumm Gingercake!

Anonymous said...

I'll be right over to wash my ass.