Pages

Monday, May 11

They definitely broke the mold...

You know when you're having a day like every other day (especially in these times) when you're just bumping along doing what you do, and you come home from a pleasant ride with a friend, and you head out to the backyard to hang out with your family and dogs, and your phone rings in your pocket, and it's a friend you rarely hear from, so you answer, and he tells you that your mutual friend that you've known for more than twenty years died in his sleep last night, and then... that's it.

I lost my long-time friend, Bill Fehr this weekend.

I remember when I first met him in 1998.  This bald-headed former (but always) Marine had his red and yellow Cannondale MTB upside down next to the fountain in The Square.  He was essentially polishing it with a towel that he was (always) carrying in his messenger bag. He was the latest FNG to the messenger scene, and while I couldn't really call myself a "veteran" with my year of experience, I had seen a few come and go in that time.

Who knew he'd be the only constant in my uptown life for over two decades.

We definitely had our ups and downs.  He was a complicated, interesting, well read, intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated (I could keep going, but at some point I gotta move on) man.

There was a time where if I was doing something, he was doing it with me and vice versa.  

He was the first person to take me mountain biking in Wilson Creek... and also camping... where he would cook his infamous "ham the size of Liberace's head."  I still don't know why he used that unit of measure.

We pretty much owned happy hour at Dixie's Tavern for a long time.  $1 pints and free wings and jambalaya... the "courier special."  I still have a sizeable scar on my knee from one of our rides back to his house afterwards.

He and I attending the Fontana Village Icycle a million years ago.... to end up in the middle of nowhere on the round about way home, almost running outta gas in his Jeep, finding a small convenient store with a clerk who looked like Helen Hunt... Bill dancing in the aisles singing Dragula out loud for some odd reason.

I rode along with him on an insane Midnight Run style drive to Connecticut to pick up a cradle that his father built.  I got to see his dad answer the door buck naked, eat eggs while smoking, and somehow we ended up in a strip club in Moosup, CT... which was just the oddest thing ever.

He made it to both 24 Solo World Championship races I was in to support me, Idyllwild and Conyers.  He got to meet my father in California... he was fully clothed tho.

I remember when he left the courier life for a few months... and then there was a hole in Uptown Charlotte... that fortunately he came back and filled up again.  At least while he was "in between" courier life moments, he was able to hop into my Isuzu Rodeo for the planned/unplanned trip to Moab the weekend after 9/11.  At some point on the trip, he broke off solo to ride to the La Sal mountains to overnight (before amateur homeless personning was a thing), ran outta water on the way back, and returned to us much crisper and lighter than when he left.

My whole family was right outside the door at the hospital when his daughter was born.  I can remember him coming straight out of the room and hugging me... and crying.

I wish I could hug his big dumb head right now.

I feel awful that in his final months, he had to let go of two dogs that were the world to him.  I'm so happy that he found someone new to spend his canine time with...

I feel for his sweet wife and his brilliant daughter.  I'm comforted that his parents have both passed away and they don't have to deal with the loss of a son way too soon... if that's anything, I guess.

And the thing I can't understand is that although he and I hardly got to hang out much anymore, he's definitely in that circle of people who's absence could possibly leave me with this hopeless sense of "what the fuck am I supposed to do now?"

What I wouldn't give for one more conspiracy theory laden discussion on the bench, what with that tiny bit of white spittle that would form on his lower lip any time he got excited about something.

Okay.  That's enough.  Time to go off and cry and ride my bike and try to not see his face everywhere I go.

Go hug your family.

The last photo Bill took of me...for what it's worth.

13 comments:

TJ Morton said...

Damn! So sorry for your loss, Rich. But what a well written and loving memorial.

twb said...

Wow, stunned to read this. I remember seeing Bill when I first came Charlotte. It was summer, 2003 I think, and outside the Starbucks by Johnson & Whales. He was riding in clipin sandals. It was first time I'd seen anyone riding in clipin sandals and the memory stuck with me. Many years later I met him on ride with you at Poplar Tent. After that I'd see Bill frequently in the lobby of my building or in the elevator. We'ed always chat for a bit. He loved riding his bike and we shared that connection. I'll miss seeing Bill and I'll miss those chats.

More from Bill about that here: https://vimeo.com/64717156

Take care, Todd

bethanie said...

I’m so sad to hear about this today. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Advocat sez:

Condolences Rich. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know him well but have missed his blog and photos.

sully1104 said...

Damn Dude.....Hang in there.So Sorry

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Thinking of you and Bill my friend, long ago Pisgah rides. Mike B

Ryan said...

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It was Bill, with that very spittled lip, that first asked me if I knew Dicky who wrote Bad Idea Racing......a blog.
This was in Sweden at an Indian restaurant. One of just a few encounters. He definitely left an impression.

RIP Bill I'll go crack a memorial lunch beer now.

BUCK

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. Bill sounds like an awesome dude.

graveldoc said...

As a frequent Bad Idea Racing reader when it links to guitar Ted Productions, I am touched by the fine tribute you've given to Bill. My sympathies for you and others who called Bill fiend.

Calvin said...

I'm crushed...totally crushed.

TB said...

Bill Fehr left a lasting impression on me during my childhood years. I remember spending weekends in the woods in Mint Hill doing trail work with you guys. I credit him with teaching me of the characteristics of diesel fuel, how it has a thicker viscosity than gasoline and higher ignition point. This was while riding in a Uhaul truck he was driving during a move. Not sure how we got on that topic, but I was always asking questions (and still do). He was always very patient and willing to entertain my "why" questions that every kid asks. I recall when we went to his house to install the "push button start" in your '87 Samurai when the clutch switch went out. There was a Dremel tool through the firewall and lots of sparks! I remember his beloved dogs Mary and Danger, watching you two build a ramp to ride over his backyard barn, and so on. Lots of great memories. Had hoped to introduce him to Neal someday, I'm quite disappointed that won't happen now. -TB

The Adventure Biker said...

Just- wow. I just read of this news on Facebook - in disbelief. What a shocker. So sorry to hear this man. I remember Bill very well. Condolences to you and his family.

~ John