Pages

Friday, September 11

Shenandoah Mountain 100 2020: Epi (Lincoln size) Logue

So here goes.

Do I regret going to the Shenandoah Mountain 100?

No, not really.  It was on my short list of races that I've perhaps done enough times that I don't feel a strong pull to go back, but it was actually happening and fit into my life.  I'd wanted to do the Fool's Gold 60 miler tomorrow, but once I realized that I'd have to leave work early on a Friday (and get this, I can't take time off work on the every other week that I have to work), I couldn't go.  Sucks a little, because I wanted to actually "race" that race.  

So I went to the SM 100 instead.

Do I regret quitting?

I regret not being smarter.  That's about it.  I don't like quitting for a shitty excuse that isn't excruciating pain or a mechanical catastrophe.  I wanted a nice bike ride and a chance to see friends.  I got that.  I also wanted to see how racing was sorting itself out in this COVID world.  More on that later. 

I'm bummed that I missed out on coming down Braley's, Dowells Draft, and Chestnut.  A lot.

Since it's been four years since I've ridden a hundie, the question will still kinda linger as to whether or not I still have it in me.  Obvs I may not be faster, but I figure it's still in my wheelhouse.  After all, Buck once told me that anything is walking distance if you have time.

Of course, I argued, "What about Hawaii?" 

Do I regret running into a sharp rock and flatting?

Yeth.  Entirely.  100%.  I'll try to avoid that in the future.

And as to venturing out into the COVID world of bike racing...

I had to see it for myself.  Just as I needed to ride by a crowded (on the inside) brewery and say no to that, I just wanted to be aware of what other people are doing. 

I try my best to stay apolitical on the internet, because I don't wanna argue with strangers, but...

Being that we have a failed leadership with no cohesive plan that has allowed a scattershot of misinformation to be disseminated amongst the masses for a long enough period of time for it to fester into "opinions" that become our "facts" without really digging into the science (no quotes), it's interesting to see where everyone's comfort levels are.  I noticed some people do zero hangout after the race, some that kept their distance in the giant field venue and have long conversations, some side eye looks and nervous grabs at masks to suddenly cover an exposed orifice, body language that conveyed "you're getting a little close, buddy," and pretty much the whole spectrum of possible scenarios... aside from any totally oblivious, exposed, laugh-in-the-face-of-death activities.

I was happy to see my friends taking care of themselves and their loved ones by their actions.  I mean, the safest thing we could do is order Amazon from a well-lit bathroom and stay there until this "washes away," but...

Being outside and safe isn't that difficult.  If it were, I'd have lost my shit months ago.

Racing isn't everything, but I might figure out a way to do it again before the end of the year.  I've now seen it done in a safe manner (not as safe as the order-Amazon-from-a-bathroom manner tho), so if I see a chance to play with friends in the woods with start lines and finish lines and Port-a-Potties...

Sign me up.

I'll check my sealant and pack my plugs.  I promise.

And circling back just a bit, if you really wanna remain in my world (social media or IRL), please consider the following.  Common sense and a little empathy go a long way.

Thank and bless.







3 comments:

Michael Scott Long said...

😃👍

Anonymous said...

My plan remains the same: fly you to the northwest to organize my garage and home.
No mask required, although smoke is thick. Toilet paper available. Beers in fridge, inside and out.

Anonymous said...

You should listen to Joe Rogan’s Podcast today with Tim Kennedy 🍺