Pages

Monday, October 19

Back in the groove

So much play play over the last nine days.  Obvs, The Whole Enchilada bike race happened.  Then I turned to the new garvel bike for some recovery.  Local rides on my mountain bike cycle... also some time in la montagnes.

Of course Mike Pierce is in the parking lot at the hatchery on some random day.  I think he lives in the Pisgah in a hollowed-out log.  

Nick said "DELETE THAT" as soon as he decided to roll the huck start.  I guess I forgot to.  Will delete later.

Tis the season to do the typical seasonal trail loops.  Leaves were popping.  Nick was peeing.

I really need to talk about that 140mm Fox 34 at some point.  Grip damping and all that.

Still dialing in the settings tho.  I only got one slice of pizza outta fun-o-meter o-ring, so there's at least a half slice of pepperoni left in the travel that I'm not getting yet. 

Second slice for dessert because pizza > most other things in life.

To whomever that took the time to stick the rocks in the giant hole that's been eroding into Daniel's Ridge, bless and thank.

That section, so good now.

The iconic stairs at the Farlow/Daniel's Ridge intersection.  I know I'm about to get on the best roller coaster in the park once I roll down these piled up logs and rocks.  

Well...

Huh.  I don't think that I've ever wrecked on Daniel's Ridge.  I'm certain I've always cleaned that last section... up until last week.  Me and the new fork were getting along handsomely until I stuck my whole bike in a bad place, and it yeeted me over the bars.  I know, knee pads blah blah blah knee pads.  I bought some the next day.  I wore them the day after that.  I can't say I like them.

Mountain laurel pizza.  Indigenous species in these here parts.  They're best when you get 'em right off the vine.

Forest art or garbage?  You decide.  I'd hate to think people are dumping furniture in the forest.  I'd also hate to think that some people think voting doesn't matter.

Bill Nye rocking the high line on... is this still Butter Gap?  Is it on Cat Gap?  Does it matter to anyone where it is?

Of course we find Mike Pierce at The Pisgah Hub and Tavern.  I hope he made it back to his hollowed-out log before it got dark.

Next mountain ride.  Plan the day and it goes sideways before we get outta the driveway.  Our group of four pares down to two when hangovers take out our companions.  I come up with a new route... and then another.

I tell Nick that my best guess is twenty something miles.  I was close.  It was thirty one miles.

Early in the day, with one hundred percent of Squirrel Gap behind us but still so much climbing ahead.  Doh.  Sorry but also not sorry.

Pedal pizza after the long climb to Funnel Top.  I promised mostly fun from here.

It kinda was... still tryna figure out a proper way to get the new rebuilt Cantrell Creek into a loop without cutting the ride too short or making my friend ded before we get to it.  Hard to get boosty and roosty on an empty tank... and you still gotta climb outta the hole to get back to the car.

Pretty sure I rode something like two hundred miles over the course of my last nine day break, and all I have to show for it is a scratched up knee and a $20 gift card to the US National Whitewater Center.

Go me.

No comments: