Pages

Wednesday, September 22

West Virginia Whirled Cup/Van from Man-Tuk't Tour '2: Part One

Good lorb.  I'm in a daze.

That was a hell of a trip. I'm just gonna hit the high points.

We bee-lined our way outta Charlotte directly to Fayetteville.  I'd been paying attention to the social media coming outta Andy, Danger, and Boyes from New River Bikes, and Wolf Creek Park seems like the place to be.  So many other trails in WV are just old hiking trails, but these were built for bikes of the mountain sort.

Bill Nye hucking his meat.

Easy to navigate and everything you wanna throw a mountain bike at.  Flow, jumps, hucks, super-hucks, features, and rock gardens that will beat your dick clean off.



Bill Nye, Jon, and Boyes sent it down this slabby ladder roll-in.  I, on the other hand, did not.  My head is still not there yet.  Of course, some guy who musta been 65+ years old came along, said he'd never done it before because he was always alone out here, and then he hit it with us as witnesses.  

Mebbe someday.  Just not till I get back to that point.  That bumpy blind commit didn't give me the warm fuzzies.  Baby steps.

After we got done with the insanely rock-tech filled Moonshine, we headed to the Bridge Brew Works which is like three baseball throws away from the trailhead.

Then back to Danger's place to live that glamorous van life in his driveway.

Also, my angry foot got angrier that day.

Up kinda late the next day, stop at New River Bikes, head out to Tea Creek.

We had a "plan."  Ride up the road, ride "down" Tea Creek Mountain Trail  Andy audibled something to our plan tho.

Red Run... supposedly "down".   447 feet down in 1.8 miles... full of rocks and roots that make it "pedally."

Up something or other and then on to the "descent" down Tea Creek Mountain.

Once we hit these rocks, I was able to recall that I rode this like a billionty years ago back when we had maps printed on paper and this trail was listed as "not suggested for bikes."

Eventually, we got to the descent we'd worked so hard to get to... with very little daylight left.  I started feeling slightly better on the bike, but not so much as the woods got all dark on me.  Finish and we dunk our taints down in the creek and stay the night at the campground right at the bottom of the trail... which we paid for with a check... because Bill Nye had a checkbook?

I wonder how long before people don't even know what that is...

No comments: