Pages

Wednesday, May 17

I wrote a blerhg, I wrote a blerhg for you... and everything you do.

I know I had it posted for months over there on the sidebar that I was intending to go to the Trans-Sylvania Epic this "season," but I finally stopped dragging my feet and registered late last week.  I didn't know how I'd feel after doing the Pisgah Stage Race and then two weeks later PMBAR in the lead up... and also with intentions of doing the anticipated shit show known as the Mountain Cat 100 the weekend after TSE...

butfuckever.

Leaning harder than Jay and Silent Bob in front of RST Video into my YOLOs and FOMOs and gonna do it all because I don't have a whole lot planned for the rest of the year.  I don't know when or if I'll ever stop doing this race.  At some point, I'll be too old or dead (which is also too old).  One of those options will be easier to accept than the other, so since I'm still alive, and I'm not in the box just yet...

LFG and whatnot.

I like yellow shoes.  It's probably pretty apparent.

Yes, I have five pairs of the same shoe, one in orange, one very used (2+ years) but still going strong, one started this "season," and two still in the box.  I know what I like.  Those Mavic shoes have very hike-a-bike friendly soles, they're on closeout (so getting them in the future is eventually be no buneos), they're super comfy, and you mighta noticed... they're yellow.

I think I bought my first pair of yellow riding shoes in the very late '90s.  I'd finally gotten a messenger dealio at a local bike shop, and I hadn't been able to afford a pair of SIDIs since I got my first pair in the return bin at Bike Nashbar for $12 back in '94.  There were two colorway options in the Dominator to me, yellow or black.  I bought yellow.

This was at a time in my life when I still marginally cared about what others thought regarding my decisions.  My consistent riding companions were firm believers that all things should be black at all times, and they gave me a constant barrage of shit over my shoes.  I got so tired of it that I ended up taking a Sharpie to them... and I regretted that decision almost immediately.  

So perhaps just like when my father tried to talk me out of buying a new bike when I was fifteen because I'd be driving a car soon and the bike was just going to collect dust, I'm going to spend the rest of my life proving a point.

Or I just really like wearing yellow shoes.

This weekend, I'll be packing an assortment of yellow footwear and the bits and baubles I panic-grab from various drawers, closets, shelves, and hooks.  Next Monday, I'll be on the road for my twelfth TSE. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I will be following up my Pisgah experience with a TSE chaser.

FLIP N SIP!!