Pages

Wednesday, August 7

What condition my condition is in...

Sometimes I forget that Kenny Rogers was Kenny Rogers before he was Kenny Rogers.

My phone has a brain of its own and it tells me stories when I get back from rides.

Pretty sure I'm on the other side of this bout of Covid.  I either feel pretty good or just relatively okay compared to the improperly discarded bag of dog poop I was a little over a week ago.  Dare I say I'm looking forward to this weekend's double header of the Old Fort Fifty and Pisgah Enduro™?

I've gone from super excite about strapping on a number plate once again to super duper lethargic to semi-hopeful to aspiring amateur meteorologist over the last couple weeks.  It was looking like Debbie was going to have a serious impact on this weekend's activities, and to say I was nonplussed by the prospect of yet another long day (or two) in a moist Pisgah would be quite the understatement.

But now it looks like regular Pisgah weather... which is just the usual roll of the dice and rub your lucky rabbit's foot and hope you're not on the wrong side of the mountain at the right time.

I have no idea what version of me will emerge from the cocoon in two days.  Speaking of "cocoon," join me in finding some comfort in the fact that Wilford Brimley was fifty years old when he finished filming "Cocoon." 
 
Hard to feel like fifty five is old when I look in the mirror and consider this, but I also know I gotta keep on keeping on if I wanna look as good at seventy seven as Don Ameche did (left, yours not his).

Mostly I'm looking forward to a weekend of hanging out and catching up with frands, some of whom are fellow King of Pisgah series ding dongs who have willfully elected to race each other for hundreds of miles from April to October.

Despite the warning signs and general non-committal feels I've had all year, I entered anyhoo.

At least after this weekend, the only thing standing between me and finishing another King of Pisgah series is 140 more miles and 20,000 feet or elevation gain.

Cake walk.

That term used to mean something.  I won a cake walk once in elementary school.  I need to update my results page to reflect that... and apparently everything else I've done in 2024 that I forgot to add thus far (doh).

No comments: