Pages

Wednesday, August 5

Click For More Big 'uns Content

Some more 32" content?

Why not?

The Aspen AT turned out to be the 32" tire I was waiting for.  The regular Aspen is fine.  Very fine.

When it's dry.  

I don't like changing tires for conditions last minute, so I prefer and all-arounder up front 95% of the time.  My go-to was the OG Forekaster 2.6 in 29"*, and although it wasn't the fastest roller, it could handle the widest variety of conditions without being too slow when it's dry nor too heavy.  IThe OG got replaced with the more Enduro™ version (heavier and gnarlier), so I hoarded as many OGs as I could get my hands on.


It would be hard to find more muddy conditions then we had at ORAMM a couple weekends ago.  I had enough confidence to just send it, and things only felt dicey a few times.  I'll probably run the new 32" Forekaster on my next big wheeler with front suspension (which is coming soon) in the winter, but this tire is all the buenos. 

Worth the wait... and the weight.

Yeth, a bit hefty when compared to a 29" tire, but worth it when you wrap it around the big hoops.

Oh... the whole "thirty two will climb soooo slow..." 

I've never been up this climb before, and had no idea it was a segment.   I wasn't particularly "givin' 'er" thirty eight miles and four hours in, but there you have it.  Some 766 recorded (and shared) attempts at this climb, and somehow I'm tied for sixth on STRAVA.  Everyone from third back to the 6/6/6 tie did their times at the '26 ORAMM in the mud, so I feel like I'm in some good company. 

That's all probably proof of nothing without power data or whatever, but alls I'm saying is, I don't feel slow on climbs, especially trail climbs with some bumpy bits.  And another thing, this thing rails switchback climbs.  The front stays planted, and I can concentrate more on putting out power and keeping rear traction.

Blah, blah, blah...

I'll be back in the same area this weekend, so I'm looking forward to another play date at the Old Fort Fifty... and a shot at redemption on Heckle Rock because I'm much more willing to risk a flat seventeen miles into a thirty mile race VS fifty five miles into a sixty four mile race (if that makes sense).

Oh, and then spending the rest of the weekend hanging out with the Pisgah Productions crew and doing some volunteer work as an "athletic supporter."

* Yeth, I'm going to have to sell a pile of tires once I'm fully committed to big 'uns.

1 comment:

Rob said...

You jock. Definitely curious on the tired dept stuff, in case I do get a new HT next year, 32 is definitely in consideration.