Pages

Friday, October 8

Not famous, but at least "interesting"

I'm not sure I made the most of my time yesterday. I got up and fed Fajita and got her off to school, but from there I did not accomplish much of the shit on my "shit to be accomplished" list. First things first I had to follow through on a promise.

Marshall Parker Conrad facemessaged me the other day wanting to know if he could interview me for his Advanced Writing Eng. 302 class. At my current elevated celebrity status I tend to only do interviews with major publications and media outlets, but he flattered me by saying "I can't think of anyone who would be more interesting than Dicky." Of course his attempts to reach Bono and George Clooney were not answered since they were busy saving the world, so being the third most interesting person Marshall could think of I agreed to do the project as long as I could post the interview here on the blog. Hopefully you'll appreciate the fact that I'm saving it till next week, and I will post it on my day off so you will get your normal five times a week dose you've grown accustomed to over the last five years. I spent a decent amount of time answering his queries, and hopefully my sponsors will be stoked about the extra exposure they're going to get in Marshall's Advanced Writing Eng. 302 class. Spoiler alert: I do drop some clues regarding next year in the interview.

Foster dog Martin kept an eye on my progress and helped me with my grammar when needed. He'll be available for adoption in a couple weeks at the Humane Society of Charlotte.

After that there was a very hazy period where nothing much really got done. The Boy helped me do some landscaping which was just rolling some logs from a tree that was cut down to a hiding place in some shrubbery. I also filled the many holes of varying depths and sizes that had been dug in our backyard by the guide dog puppy. Luckily Jerry called and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, so I got my shit together and headed out the door.

One lap backwards at Sherman was fun. The pace set by Jerry and Micheal was, dare I say "pleasant?" On the next forward lap the number of Micheal's in our group went up by a factor of one, and the pace went up by a factor of ten. I was continually and inadvertently dropping my chain from the big to the small ring through the rough stuff and trying to fight back to the group. I blew up about halfway in and dragged my tired ass back to the parking lot exhausted. Maybe the ride wasn't such a great idea as I woke up this morning with the pain in my ankle restored to its day two post injury status.

I did wear the new Octane LR Camelbak on the ride to try it out although the two hour speedfest hardly called for 70oz of water or 9L of gear.

One thing I did appreciate was the total hands free drinking that you can get when YOU ROUTE THE TUBE UNDER YOUR ARM.

This will be the go-to pack for most any ride that I need a pack for as long as the gear requirements are somewhat low (as in leave the sleeping bag body suit at home). There's room for a light jacket, some armwarmers, and a little other cool weather gear in the outer storage compartment. Did I mention that the new pack will come in gray just in case you're not manly enough to rock a little color on your back and work in your office with a small fluffy dog on your lap?

Next week I will reveal an incentive plan for people who sign up for the Trans Sylvania Epic while dropping my name. It will be huge, well maybe not huge, but it will be something.

4 comments:

Nathaniel said...

I used to get so much crap for routing it under my arm. Now that THE Dicky does it, it's cool.

Thanks Dicky.

dicky said...

I've been doing it for quite some time.

I melted a hole in the side of my Blowfish years ago...

but I'm sure you inspired me somehow.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=219825&highlight=blowfish

Anonymous said...

any feedback from the Pisgah staged race?

I might try and do the Trans Sylvania and the Pisgah race next year. Maybe the Brazilian race as well (its in Nov)...

dicky said...

I've heard nothing but good things about the Pisgah Stage Race, and I'm considering doing it next year. The stars just never aligned these past two years.