Pages

Wednesday, January 16

I did something(s) right

No, I didn't win (or even get on the podium) at The Whole Enchilada, but I fell pretty good about how things worked out.  I was able to keep a decent pace for almost four hours, and I wasn't all that sore or worn out the next day.  My recovery was basically grab a pizza and a twelve pack from the store, take a shower, crawl into my Elevated Legs squeezy bags, and watch movies until 11:30PM.  Not entirely pro-level recovery, but I was hurting more last Monday after just riding 55 or so junk miles over two days the week before.  I'm actually in a decent mood (for early January).

Some things worked out really well this past weekend. I used some old standard garb for the chilly conditions; wool Swiftwick socks, neck gaiter, skull cap, and a sleeveless base layer.  Some stuff was new (to me) for making great bike race.

Two things from GORE Wear:

A long sleeve Windstopper base layer. (over the sleeveless base layer)

I can't remember when I got this, and I don't remember how often I've worn it.  I usually just grab a jacket.  That said, I had it under my jersey, it kept the wind off my chest and arms, but still allowed for a ton of breath-ability at the back (and the arms).  Wanna stay warm but still rock a team kit?  This is bueno.

BTW: I had a GORE Windstopper vest on at the start, which in theory made my core 200% windproof which is no better than 100%.  I'd put it on because I wanted it in case the 20% chance of rain actually happened, and my body seemed like a convenient place to store it.  I ended up putting it in my jersey pocket on the climb up to the Weigh Station Loop, and I wasn't any colder without it the rest of the day.

200% def not > 100% in this case.

Also this:

C-5 bib shorts Limited Edish.  I bought these last summer mostly because I was trying to be a better GORE ambassador (can't miss that logo on the leg).  It wasn't until I got them in my hands that I found they had GORE® WINDSTOPPER® Cup Technology... which is basically a windproof layer over the frank and beans.  This allowed me to opt out of wearing baggies to keep the bits warm, so now I guess I know why I own these bibs.

I was only wearing HandUp Cold (not ColdER) Days gloves for maximal dexterity.

And (this is more important) I finally listened to the advice that HandUp Cody gave me sooooo many years ago.  I had nitrile gloves underneath, and I had zero issues with the cold.  I'm old enough now to feel the cold in my bones, and this was so clutch.  The only thing I can add to his advice was that I used a lot of baby powder to make getting it all on my hands much easier and keeping them drier longer.

Last but not least, I've found a new love.

I know it might not be the smartest choice for fast-rolling dry days (we'll see), but dang-ole if I wasn't hooking up where others were having issues on Saturday.  This thing will eat if you let it.  I'm probably just gonna leave it on there for Winter Shart Tarck unless things get super dry (not looking like it this weekend).  I didn't think anything was gonna knock the Rekon 2.6 off its pedestal for awhile.  I was wrong.

Just bringing all this up because I was super prepared to be uncomfortable for hours and hours this past Saturday, and I just happened to come up with the right combo (for me).   Not that I'm looking at doing this again for a long time.

I'm not a fat snow biker.  Never was.  Never will be.  Never wanna.

I live in NC for reasons.

3 comments:

Chris said...

How do you think the 2.6 Forekaster grip compares to something like a 2.4 DHR II ?

I had 2.3 forekaster previously and thought they worked pretty well. They were fast rolling, but I then started to wash the front, so i switched to something more knobbly up front paired with the forekaster out back until it was toasted.

Current setup is 2.4 DHR II WT up front with 2.4 Rekon WT in the rear, 29 of course because everything else is ded.

dicky said...

I only have a 3.0 DHR mounted up for front rigid use and a 2.4 DHF WT up front on the bike with squish.

So obvs, not qualified to make the comparison you're looking for. I do feel a lot more cornering confidence in slick conditions with the ForeK over the Rekon. Mebbe I'll be lazy and leave it on all year, or mebbe I'll swap back to the Rekon when (if?) things dry up.

UniBiker said...

I'm also not a Fat Snow Biker.....
But when I ride trails it's the only bike I have 🤓