Pages

Monday, May 20

2019 Pisgah 55.5k: Preamble

I know I said I was going to be way too busy to do things and what not, but...

Like the delicious hamburger that Kurt offered me Friday night at 9:30PM that I said I didn't want because that's late for me to eat real food the night before a race, and I'm old... but I ate it anyways.

Or the fourth or fifth beer I cracked open at 10:30PM on Friday night because Nick said he was gonna have one more before bed...

I'm a little too open to suggestion and often times make decisions that are not in my best interest future forward but seem like a great idea right at that moment.

The burger was good tho.

Going backwards in time but in the same theme, I got a coupla texts from Eric "PMBAR Honcho" Wever on Wednesday.


7:12 PM... probably cracking the post-shower beer beer.  37+ miles and almost 8,000 feet of climbing... beer buzz math says ok.

I promised myself I wouldn't overdo things less than a week out from the Trans-Sylvania Epic (again).  That said, a quick look at the weather... a chance to ride thirty seven something miles in absolutely perfect Pisgah conditions?  I convinced myself that I could mebbe skip all before work training Friday through Tuesday in exchange for the 55.5k, and in return, sleep in and "recover."

Pretty much the bike ride equivalent of an expertly grilled and prepared burger with all the fixins.  How could I say no?

Rob Peter.  Pay Paul.  Fuck Dick.

So do I swap the heavy'ish tires on the Vassago and squish my way around the forest or change the TSE nineteen tooth cog for a Pisgah friendly twenty tooth*, suck it up, and ride rigid?

Obvs the cog swap sounded like less effort, at least on the front end of the stick.

So leave work Friday at 5:00PM, home, dinner, drive to the Rampton Lodge, beer, burgers... more beer... and in bed by 11:40PM.

Wake up at 5:00AM, coffee... hope for results... nothing.

Red meat a couple hours before bed, maybe not so buneo of an idea.  Fortunately, a stop at Ingles so Nick could grab some breakfast offered the opportunity to address my "issues," and I was starting to feel like it was gonna be a great day in Pisgah.

Mebbe.

* The funny thing is, I got home Sunday, washed my bike, and went to swap the 20 tooth cog back to a TSE-frandly 19 tooth.  Pulled off the cog, put the cog that I put in a memorable place on my workbench a few nights ago... and the chain was already tensioned.  Huh... I don't know how I did it, but I had swapped a nineteen tooth cog for another nineteen tooth cog.  According to Nick...

1 comment:

eric said...

If you keep robbing peter to pay paul, eventually you will end up with a sore peter, but that may not be all bad