Pages

Thursday, September 12

UCI World Cuppage: Part Three

I allowed myself some time to sleep in on Sunday.  The XC racing action didn't start until early afternoon, so I saw no reason to get outta bed... despite the fact that my roomies, who are not accustomed to seeing me not get up early, might think I'm ded.

Wake up, watch the Red Bull coverage of the DH race from the day before.  Amazing how much you don't see from the same spot all day.  Huh.

"Are you even gonna bring beer over to the course?" ~ Bill Nye

Load up the bags with beer with some reluctance...

Drinking beer and standing on the side of the mountain is starting to feel like a job.  I punch the clock regardless.

We head over to the same rock garden we'd been staring at all weekend.  It's just about the closest thing to our place.  Besides, Kaysee said there was nothing worth seeing anywhere else.  I mean, this (from PinkBike) looks totally boring:

Mmmmmmm... okay.

Anyways, at our post and open our first beer of the day when the women take to the course.  It's an impressive scene.  I took no pictures of the action myself, because I'm a firm believer that there are professionals out there doing a fine job, and I just can't post a shitty image on social media of my race watching experience that's gonna make the world a better place.  I took note of who had droopers and who actually used them (only some of the time?), and that none of that really mattered technically, because drooped or not, they could all crush me riding Strider bikes.

The women finished, but we stood our ground.  No sense in moving about... the whole thing will be on TV later.  Then we watched most of the men's race... and then we ran outta beer.  So, we headed back to the condo to watch the Red Bull coverage of the women's race... and when I woke up on the couch to the post-race interviews, I looked around and found this scene:

Bill Nye had actually made it back to bed...

And while I did find Nick sleeping on the couch next to me, I staged the bottle of vodka... although he and Bill Nye destroyed it much later with some leftover ginger ale they found in the fridge (spoiler alert).

I woke everyone up (probably packing my shit noisily), and we watched the men's race coverage and finished depleting our supply of beers.

Almond milk and hot sauce do not a mixed drink make.

What to do, what to do?

We rallied our spirits and went out to eat.  And then beer.  And then Loic walked into the joint.  Nick thought about bugging him, but he gave Loic his space...

Until we went over to the Old Spruce Bar, told Mo that Loic was across the way, she ran out, told him there was karaoke at the Spruce... and he showed up minutes later.

And Nick got Loic to lift him up (unlike Rob Warner the night before who declined Nick's request).  What followed was the singing (way too many times) of Country Roads with Loic and his posse... and then... something something...

We're on the couch at 1:00AM watching Mr Deeds whilst Nick and Bill Nye finish their nasty liquor drink concoction and some time later... we're in bed.

And that's that.

Everything I expected it to be times about eleventy million.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a little jealous before. Now I’m a lot jealous.