Pages

Monday, November 4

The Human Condition

What a mixed bag of a weekend...

I mean, when it starts with diarrhea, it can always go either way.  Either your body was purging something it didn't want from the day before, or you might not want to get too far from your personal toilet for the rest of the day.

Up at 5:50 AM to go for a ride, I was in some kinda sad place as I was driving to the rendezvous point.  I got caught up in a circle of negative thoughts regarding the meaning of life and why exactly I'm up so early and behind the wheel of a car in pursuit of cycling related happiness.  Of course once I met up with my compatriots, things turned around... and the sun came up.

We roll into the parking lot at DuPont, and then the Mowerys drive in (we're riding with them?) and then Luther (him too?)  What a happy little group of people the seven of us are.

I mean, I'm sorta happy.

It's in the low thirties outside, and the sun is still kinda low in the sky.  I can't stop thinking about the better/warmer clothing options that I left at home.

Actually, my mind gets some relief from thinking about how cold I am every time I need to use my brakes.  I'd done a lazy person's gravity bleed that I saw in a YouTube video, and the rear brake was complete and utter shit.  Dammit.  It was fine in the driveway... sorta... after a couple additonal bubbly cup fixes...

It was very exciting pulling back on the lever and finding out if it's going to bottom out on the grip... or not... dammit dammit dammit.

The temperatures eventually ended up becoming more suitable for my attire, and the miles rolled easily by after that magical occurrence.

Although Big 'n Buttery chose a route that seemed to go up all my favorite descents, it was still an awesome thirty plus mile day in the woods with friends.

Big loops in DuPont almost always means wet feet. 

Afterwards, we headed into Brevard for beers at Squatch Bikes and Brews (I'd never been) and then here for the best burrito I've had in a very long time:

$13 for a huge, delicious chicken burrito and a can of craft beer... because... burrito.

Sunday, I thought I'd knock out the chores I'd ignored the day before and then mebbe squeeze in a ride at the Backyard Trails.  Gutters, mow the grass, fix the leak in my roof, etc.  So much etc.  Wash the DuPont grit off the Vertigo Meatplow V.7 and bleed the brakes the proper way.

It was mid-afternoon by the time I'd wrapped up my choring.  I was just finishing going over the Meatplow V.7 and thinking about heading out the door with the V.8 when I noticed some wiggle in the left pedal...

or not.

Dammit.

The replacement cranks I bought when my crabon cranks died on day one in Bend 382 days (and $400) ago...

were now experiencing the dreaded pedal insert wobble that killed the first set of cranks.

*sigh*

Pull the cranks off, head over to Bike Source, stopping at Total Wine first to get some grease for the wheels of warranty.  I hate asking any place to help me with a warranty when I didn't buy the item from them, but I doubt I'm gonna be back in Oregon any time soon.  Leave my cranks on the counter, stick the beer in the fridge, ride home...

and run into the Charlotte Urban Adventure riders heading into Brawley's Beverage... and decide to join them for a beer in the sunshine.

After that, I just decided to relax.  I'd had a full enough day.

Woke up this morning with zero regrets about missing out on a bonus ride because I forgot how much my glutes hurt after squatting my way around my roof line cleaning out gutters.  Fall asleep early on the couch because this whole changing the clocks thing is bullshit...

Wake up when the blind diabetic dog is moaning, look at the alarm clock on the floor... 6:28 AM.

Good enough.  Get outta bed, let the dog out, coffee, write this post in front of the TV....

Catch the weather man talking about sunrise... and finally notice the time on the TV...

5:50 AM.

Daylight savings is bullshit.  I know it.  You know it.  My dog's bladder knows it.

Also, member when we learned the metric system in primary school because they said by the time we were adults, we'd all be using it?

Dammit.

3 comments:

Wickedstock said...

Wow, such an amazing post.

DTate said...

Pescados is the best eats in Brevard!

Anonymous said...

The meaning of life....One will never find it if you are looking to the things of this world for the answer.