Pages

Tuesday, May 26

I forgot to title this post

I'm pretty wiped out.  I should know better.  Actually, I totally do.  It's not like I'm putting up mega-mileage, but every day it's something.  Almost a hundred and sixty miles and ten thousand feet of climbing in the past seven days, but no real recovery between rides... even despite all the rain.  I just keep riding... and I know what "zones" I should be shooting for "performance-wise"... relatively speaking.  All the miles on knobby-tire single speeds.  As much on trail and not pavement as I can possibly get.

But I just keep riding...

Going to Wilson Creek to grind garvel today.

Then... mebbe I'll take a day off.  A voluntary day off.  I don't know what to do with a "day off," being that any and all my busy work is already done.  I could repack my tarck bike wheel bearings...

Nah.

Six more days before I get back to work, and this is one of the most exciting things to happen in days... you know, since I got a bidet.

Tubes.  This is excite.

My local bike shop is outta tubes in my size and desired valve length, and they've been out for awhile.  Everybody suddenly discovering cycling has certainly made everything weird in the bike "industry."  Ever since I loaned a tube to Big 'n Buttery weeks ago, I've been short one tube... in that way that I want a tube strapped to every bike at all times.  I somehow forgot that I'm a Maxxis "athlete" (I'm using that term as loosely as they must use it), but at least I membered that I've got a garvel bike coming and no spare tubes and if I show up to the "road stage" of the Tour de Burg (if it happens) with one tube for my garvel bike, Harlan Pants will make fun of me.

Other than that?

I guess if anything good comes out of all this, a portion of J Q Public embracing bikes can't be a bad thing, can it?  I mean sure, noobs riding wet trails ain't all the buenos.  In the short term, the greenways have gotten slightly more dangerous as novices figure out the very unwritten rules of the not-road.  Long term?  Mebbe a better understanding about how we can all get along and perhaps some empathy for those who have been at it a bit longer?

Hopefully fewer "get on the sidewalk!" comments coming my way when things get back to normal anyways.  A few more kids growing up thinking bikes are cool?  More adults realizing how easy it can be to ride a bike to work?

No comments: