Pages

Tuesday, August 24

Breck Epic '21: Stage One

The calm before the shit storm...

Post-pre-ride photo opportunity with the Yinzer House folk. l-r: Colleen, Montucky, Cinderbloch, Buerkle, Johnny Hamburgers, Dahn Pahrs, Jesu, Rege, Dick, Andrew (missing: Will... too busy riding Leadville 100 thus earning him two points in the El Jefe Margarita Challenge... which is equal to drinking one margarita or 2/5 of a puke on course)

Not for nothing, but I knew this was not going to be "my year" at the Breck Epic.  The best I can ever do at altitude is finish, and I haven't been riding much over the last month.  I hate to use the term, but I think I got "the twisties" in the mountain bike sense.  I realize for gymnasts, this is an actual medical issue.  In my case, it's just a certain amount of doubt that I know how to ride a mountain bike anymore.  I haven't descended anything longer than a few hundred yards since my last get-off in Colorado.

Keeping all that in mind, I've decided to prioritize the El Jefe Margarita Challenge.  Since squeezy bags are worth a five point penalty EVERY DAY, I'm going to keep my heart rate in check.  I shouldn't see higher than 180BPM unless it's just to get over a short hump from one pedalable section to another.  170s will be reserved for when needed, but hopefully I just live in a world of 150s and 160s as much as possible.

That said, much of Stage One was not very memorable (mostly because I have a terrible time remembering anything).  I found myself climbing in a reserved fashion, and on the descents, I was trying to find my mojo that the Palisade Plunge incident had stolen from me.

That was a very good year for mojo.  2021 not so much.

At both the aid stations, I grabbed my beer and bacon and took a short break.  I was finally starting to feel more one with the bike, but then the skies opened up at just about the same time that I found myself out of the trees.  Perfect timing.  I decided to not stop to put on any layers other than my tiny hat because I didn't want to give in to the conditions so early on in the week and so close to the finish.

I ended my day as a mid-packing 50+ year old.  23rd of 46 starters.

Not bad for an old man on a 2023 gravel bike.

1 comment:

Rob Kristoff said...

23/46 is like 2nd on the podium, just in a larger sense. Half are better than you. But half are worse.