Pages

Friday, August 27

Now what (again)?

Is this thing on repeat?

Starting to feel like I wake up every day thinking, "Now what?"

I assessed my bodily damage after the wreck(s), and similar thoughts went through my head as the last time.

"Breck Epic is in one, two, three... four weeks.  I can get better by then."

"Shenandoah Mountain 100 is in one, two... three weeks.  I can get better by then."

Trying to figure out what's what now.

I threw all my shit into the spare bedroom when I got home Saturday night, but when I woke up on Sunday, I decided to put my whole bike world in order.

The Fox 34 Step Cast showed up while I was outta town, and I put it on ASAP, despite the fact that I'm only hoping I can ride it soon'ish.  The Epic EVO is now down to under 24lbs.  That's the kinda weight that says "no excuses."  If I can't go fast on this... well... it's on me.

At least I'm good as far as that bike goes.  I also got the Vertigo Meatplow V.7 put back together and sorted out to a fully functional state, if for no other reason than to have my piece of mind.

Me?

Well, I hurt my ribs (again) a little higher up than I did last time.  That said, dropping outta the race gave all my previously injured parts a break, so I'm calling that a wash.

All those gross images I posted on social media of my foot have left me with a lot of google doctoring to do.  I'm pretty sure my foot was injured by the shoe buckle being punched by the ground into my fleshy/bony bits.  I thought that was my only issue, but two days after my accident, I realized that my right calf was swollen and less defined than the left.  Hmmmm...  I wrecked on my right front side, so what took my leg out from behind?

Oh, yeah.  I was totally drooped and hovering over my saddle, and I snapped the saddle rail, and there was nary a mark on the saddle at all, soooo... pretty sure I have an intramuscular bruise caused by a calf/saddle collision... an injury "which may interfere with a muscle's function and restrict your ability to move."

Basically, my shit ain't working between my knee and my ankle.  I have full range of motion, but when I try to raise my body weight up on my right foot, I get nothing.  I feel fine riding on the road, but I'm limping all over the place at work.

According to my body expert friend Buck, I'm clicking the mouse, but my leg is buffering.... "try back later."

So fuck all if I know what to expect.  Mebbe I can ride a hundred miles in a little over a week.  Mebbe I still can't.  Dunno.

But won't it be excite to find out?

Hopefully I'll know sooner rather than later, as a deferral a week out sounds better than a DNF ten miles in.

Sticking this image here for reasons important to me and useless to you.


2 comments:

Scott said...

I hope you get out of buffer mode soon. 😎

hellbelly said...

Sub 24 lbs for that rig is really light. I'm surprised you have that SixC bar which is on the more burly side of things.