Pages

Wednesday, April 20

Downcountry For Old Men

Credit Dr. Mike with that title (although I've been trying really hard to get his new nickname 'Prison Mike' to stick).
It feels like only yesterday that I was quietly complaining (dare I say "whimpering?") about my inability to gel with shifty bits on my squishy bike with too many clicky buttons.  Then throw on top of that my demoralizing ride a week ago in a haze of disappoint caused by my new-to-me allergies.

Last weekend, Bill Nye wanted to do some of the same trails I'd just ridden a week ago in my enfeebled state.  I was all about that because it would give me some back-to-back particulars to compare in order to establish which of these possible scenarios I was facing:

1. I sucked at bike cycling last week and am continuing to stay in the suck.

2. I sucked at bike cycling last week and am finding my way outta the suck.

3. Last week was some strange anomaly, and I shouldn't dwell on it any longer.

4. Gears are dumb and should be binned at the first possible chance.

Grab the Epic EVO, park at the ranger station (again), over to Clawhammer (again), and give 'er.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Much better.  My heart rate gets all up in the 170s and touches into the 180s and I set a PR going up all of Clawhammer...

Which I realized is sorta irrelevant because I can't remember how often I'd been up Clawhammer since getting a Wahoo, and also I definitely didn't have one the last time I raced up it, so there's that, and also also why would I have ever been in a hurry?

But it was encouraging nonetheless.

And the other thing...

This bike... it's... working for me.

I cleaned the climb going up Upper Black (except the two sets of stairs), and managed to get the two uphill log-overs that I could only handle one of occasionally on the single speed... and just had a jolly good time climbing up things that normally befuddled or put me in my walking place.

And FWIW, by golly this bike cycle is fun to ride down a hill.  I know... full suspension.  Whodathunk?  

This bike with "only" 120/110mm of travel with what I'll call "newer than I'm used to" geometry is sooooooooo confidence inspiring.  I'm becoming... smitten?

I wish it had a bit more front travel... without being heavier.

I wish I had room for a 185mm+ drooper post (lucky that I could cram 175mm in there)... without losing the ability to have two bottles WHERE THEY BELONG ON A BIKE.  

I wish I had a Fox DPS rear shock... without me having to buy a new shock for a bike I already love.

I wish I could find some grips I like for it... without having to spend $30+ to figure out what I like.

I wish I'd get off my ass and figure out what tires I should have on it for optimal all-purpose fun times... without giving it any more thought than I have already.

I got those tires for the Vassago Meatplow V.8, and honestly they were a lot of tire to swing around on a single speed when you're a four apples tall man as strong as a bunch of carrots.  That's over 1,900 grams of rubber knubblies, so I replaced them with a Forekaster 2.6/2.35 dropping more than 3/4 of a pound of rotating weight making me feel as strong as two bunches of turnips.  I put these tires on the Epic EVO a few months ago, because... burrito? 

I've got lighter/faster tire combos hanging in the closet... but that DHF is so inspiring.

But I'm also tryna save something good good for my first squishy SS shot at Breck Epic.

These are the simpleminded things I think about when my gutters don't need cleaned, a leaky shower door lingers in disrepair, or why I don't like red bikes...

Oh yeah, 

I wish the bike wasn't red/orange or whatever you call it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have doze meats on me Ripley.

Güt tarrs mang. Fork allz the funz.

Allegedly