Pages

Wednesday, July 17

Downcountry For Old Men: Part Deux

After getting in a buttload of riding over the last few months, I think I'm "tapering."  Timing, schedules, agendas, responsibilities, and quite possibly weather are going to make it hard to pump out some mega-miles any time soon.  

Meanwhile, progress continues on Meatplow V.10, my "downcountry" single speed that will slot between my XC single speed and my Enduro™ single speed.

Following up on a theme I was too lazy to pursue with MS Paint two years ago.

My SOLiX UL 300 wheels finally made it to my house... after spending a few hours on my neighbor's porch where the FedEx guy left them.  This disappointed me so.

Being that part of my jerhb is delivering things, I take great pride in taking those things to where they are supposed to go.  It's not that hard really.  You look at the address.  You take that item to that address.  You leave it there and nowhere else.

THAT'S THE JERHB.

Anyways... first step.  Weigh them... because?  I dunno.

1,400 grams on the nose'ish, because my scale rounds up/down to the tens of grams, so mebbe heavier than the claimed 1,385 grams but also mebbe not.  Just about all the weight saved is negated by the swap from Ashima 6-bolt rotors to Shimano Centerlock, but the mass is closer to the center of rotation, and the Shimano rotors won't eat pads as fast, and I gained an extra 2mm of inner width on the rim, so...

Buenos, I guess.

I've built the bike out just about as much as you can without having an actual frame.  The Vittoria Air-Liner XC installed in the rear tire pretty easily (99% turgid XC SS bike won't need it), and both mounted up nicely with just a floor pump.  I try to not use my air compressor if I don't need to because Boppit hates it... and garbage trucks... and strangers... and doodles.

Something else I noted in my mad rush to put together a bike without the most important part because I lack patience:

Apparently Industry Nine updated their valves to be tire liner compliant.  That might help explain why it was so easy to inflate, as I was getting ready to "modify" my insert a tiny bit for easier inflation and cleaning before I realized I didn't need to.  It's not noted on their website.  It wasn't announced when they launched the new wheels.  Even the images of valves on their site are the old ones.

Dunno what's going on there.  My brain is always on Ctrl + F.

Now, unless I wanna grease my headset cups in advance, I literally have nothing to do except sit and wait and anticipate and hope for non-shite weather this weekend so I don't lose my mind.

No comments: