Pages

Thursday, September 23

Closing Thoughts on Crank the Shield and Damage Report

So what did I think of Crank the Shield?

Well, going into it I knew this was hardly the kind of race where I could flourish. Generally speaking I need long climbs (not at altitude) and descents to take advantage of my svelte figure and lack of regard for my own personal safety. The course definitely favored the rider that could lay down power over the steep but rolling terrain as well as through the mud bogs and twisty, not flowy trail systems. Without the rain I think I would have had a shit ton more fun, but what are you gonna do? Some of the singletrack was just was I was hoping for; that nasty, loamy, rooty, rocky shit that Canada is famous for... like West Virginia on steroids.

Everything else was top notch or close to it. Staying indoors is always pretty sweet after a long day in the saddle. Having a hot shower, Subway sammiches, and chocolate milk at the finish was pretty welcome was well. Beer (if you wanted it) every night and a wide variety of things to eat at supper and breakfast. Course markings, well stocked aid stations, enthusiastic volunteers... this race had it all and then some.

That said, there will be no Crank the Shield in 2011. Chico Racing is going to a one day marathon format next year and then return to the stage race in 2012 (I guess the trails need 23 months to dry out). So FYI, if you want to have your ass handed to you for three days running in Eastern Canada you're going to have to be patient.

Damage report on the Meatplow?

The Enduro bottom bracket I just bought in June? It was nearly seized Tuesday night when I got a chance to look at it. Luckily I was able to tear it down, clean it out, and regrease it. I would say it's at 95%, and had I gotten to it Sunday night it still coulda been 100%. It had mud in it... mud for fuck's sake.

My Industry Nine hub bearings spent some serious time in the muck and under dirty water. The only one that protested when I got home out of the six bearings in the entire wheelset was the main bearing in the freehub (one of the harder bearings to replace).

Fortunately the hubs are user serviceable, and with a little patience last night the bearing was swapped and all is right in the wheel world.

Headset? That was weird. My Cane Creek 110 came loose on the last day, which is odd since the stem has never been loosened since I put the crabon frok on. Loose headsets are rarely ever the fault of the actual headset, and riding it loose can be a bit damaging to the bearings. That's the next thing I'm going to look at as I take the crabon frok off for the winter to be replaced with the Niner steel fork and an 8" rotor as well as mounting up my old Industry Nine wheels while I do a rim swap on my white race wheels (thank you Stan's and Trans Sylvania Epic for the new rims!!).

I'm not disappointed in how my equipment held up. I would venture to guess that a lot of Crank the Shield riders are going to be doing some serious work on their bikes when they get around to it. I went through what brake pads I had on the bike at the start in one day, and had Mark Summers at Joyride 150 not broke into Peter's office and stole some new ones I never woulda finished the race. My glued on Bontrager foam grip slipped 1/2" on the left hand side, and my Rotor chainring which I have come to love was trashed and sharktoothed as the grit took my chain to the limit on my Park Tool Chain Checker. Good thing I have another bike to ride since I'll never get the Meatplow back together in time for the weekend.

How did I hold up?

At first I thought the pain in my lower leg was some kind of shin splints from all the running through the muck and over the hard rock, but now I'm pretty sure that it can be attributed to getting wrapped up in the bike on day one. The odd thing was that all the swelling occurred at my ankle at least five inches from the point of impact.

Meh, finding time to elevate it after the race was challenging, but I did manage to get some hang time in the airport.

The "Season" is dead... long live the season.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Nice job... nice cankle, too!

Eric Wever / Pisgah Productions said...

There is one more race dammit.

DOUBLE DARE.

http://pisgahproductions.com/

Anonymous said...

I thought Double Dare was cankle free?

I may have to re-think this.

Anonymous said...

Nice chatting with you at the race Rich - and thanks for telling me my age class for awards was coming up - too many beers by that point!

Next year I'll have to make my way down there for an event.

Iain R

cornfed said...

I read somewhere online about how a capture or compression ring should be included with the design of the headset to keep it tight especially when paired with a long travel rigid crabon fork.

$135 ring in what, 2 months. Nice.

hugs, t-bag.

wv: nessenti