Pages

Tuesday, December 7

Shaping up (in the schedule sense)

I finally feel like I'm moving forward somewhat on the 2011 "season." I pulled the trigger on a flight to Tucson, so my participation in the 2011 running of Single Speed Arizona is confirmed. That means I am signed up and ready to go for every race over there on my "schedule" except for PMBAR (which, as of yet, I do not have a partner for). I'll hopefully be adding more as time goes by, but since my job is kinda not so secure I'm not planning too far out.

I'm pretty stoked that I'll be spending a few days in Arizona in February. Last year I opted out of the event and was stuck in Charlotte working in the cold rain all week. I promised myself I would not make that same mistake again.

Transylvania Epic may end up being the only stage race I do next year, but at least it's a good one. I got an email from race promoter Mike Kuhn awhile back concerning changes to the daily stages, and the changes are for the better (or worse depending on how you look at it).

Prologue: Improved, but about the same distance. I am pleased. It was a nice way to start seven days of racing.

Stage 1: Rothrock-Copper's Gap ~ A lot of the same trails as last year, some added fun, and about the same distance. This is the stage that left most of us feeling as if we'd been prison gang raped, so no let downs here. It was hard then, and it will be hard again next year. Last year it crippled Doug.

*Notice the compression garments on the top two single speeders? Bring your serious tight fitting apres race clothes if you wanna win at the TSE.

Stage 2: Bald Eagle-Coburn ~ I did not like this stage last year. There was a lot of road, and on a single speed bike I am a weak little man on the open flat sections. While I thought I still had a shot at Doug and Grig after Stage 1, this stage was the first nail in my coffin. This is also the stage where my brains came out my nose.

Photo: © A.E Landes Photography

Improvements are being made to make this day suck less including more singletrack, some rail trail, and a better, less sloggy finish.

Stage 3: Allegrippis at Raystown lake ~ Last year this was 32 miles of ripping, machine built, banked trails. This year we're looking at 46 miles in a two lap format. This was where I made a faux, hungover tainted attack on Doug and Grig and convinced myself that third place sounded quite nice after all.

Stage 4: Mini XC's at RB Winter Park ~ Most everybody agreed that this was one of the most fun stages of the whole race last year. Timed, mostly downhill stages with casual party paced parade riding to the start of each asses and elbows start. It's back, it's improved, no whining allowed.

Stage 5: Rothrock-Tussey ~ The Queen Stage. Last year it was only 35 miles, but now it's amped up to 45 miles. This shit was hard last year, and now it's harder. Meh... at least the trails were fun enough to make the pain worthwhile.

Stage 6: No cool name, just a repeat of last year. I'm sure if the results in the single speed class aren't locked up there may be some slow times expected from us once again.

Don't forget if you decide to sign up, let me know, and I can hook you up with the TSE Registration Incentive Package deal thing.

How good is it? Having it is much better than not having it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... does rain trail mean big bad rail road BRIDGES?

Advocat

Elk said...

I'm interested in PMBAR, but I have a potential conflict for the weekend of April 30th-May 1st. Cohutta is also scheduled for 4/30. Any chance Eric will change the date?

dicky said...

I doubt Eric will change the dates. Scheduling in the Pisgah National Forest is tight.

Anonymous said...

You should start a new website: www.Dickyleaks.com

ant1 said...

anon 8:17 - he's still a little young for that. although i've heard rumors of a pending sponsorship deal with Depends.

Emily said...

Cohutta?!? Cohutta? Pfffft. Cohutta should change its date to accommodate Eric.

PS: did you and Thad break up?

brado1 said...

DickyLeaks lol


WV: Stifi

Unknown said...

Have you thought about the snake creek gap series for the start of 2011?