Pages

Tuesday, September 18

You's Full

Hmmm.

Mother Nature sure is humbling.

My account of the weekend isn't gonna impress anyone.  I caught up on bike maintenance issues and hung out at Spoke Easy on Saturday...

and then from the moment I gotta outta bed Sunday until what I would guess was supper time, I felt like I was bailing out my figurative boat.  Tryna manage what was maybe thousands and thousands of gallons of water in a hurry to leave my neighbors' yards VIA mine own was interesting, laborious, and sorta stressful.

I gotta say, a ten year old me woulda thought moving rocks all day and trying to push water around is a blast.

I am almost five ten year old mes tho.

But compared to people who have real problems after Florence, who cares about my little slice of the world?

When we took the dogs out for a walk in between the rains, Pester (the blind diabetic dog) was outta sorts.  With everything being wet, he kinda loses his nose which is also his eyes.  Who else knows what goes on in a dog brain during a tropical storm?  He was just bumbling about.

Monday morning, I felt his feels.  Work had a delayed opening by a couple hours, and I found myself pacing around the house, looking out the windows, still expecting to see something new that needed fixing.

Nothing... nothing new at least.  Still loads of things to tidy up and do (or undo), but on the commute to work, I saw so much worse for others.  Really hoping they mean it when they say that it was a 500 year storm.

So... a bit distracted to say the least.

I did manage to squeak out a ride Thursday night, before the storms and doing all the prepping that I felt like I was supposed to do.  Me and the Vassago Meatplow V.8 are still working on our handshake.  The geometry is just different enough from my last three or so bikes, so it's something to get used to.  It sure can boogie down tho.

Hopefully my head starts working like normal again, and I can get a ride in this weekend... and also mebbe find some time to clear out the trails.  I'm 100% positive that there's a lot of work to be done, and I'm just as sure that others will be busy taking care of bigger things than trails, so I should make myself useful.

4 comments:

hellbelly said...

There are not many bikes that could make me step off my one speed '15 Honzler, but the VerHauen would be in the running as it's geometry is nearly identical.

Unknown said...

Sending good vibes to you and everyone down there. Stay safe during the clean-up as well!

OkieBrian said...

Glad to hear that you, your family and residence made it through this in one piece.

graveldoc said...

I live in southwest Missouri and have seen first hand some of the ravages of bad storms. I've been wondering how y'all were doing out your way so it's good to read today's post. For myself, I find it therapeutic to spend time with my bikes and do some tinkering and wrenching. Your trail conditions may really test tire traction, eh? As others have said, be safe and enjoy getting out.