Pages

Monday, March 18

Clouds of Depression Lifted

Praise be.

I got what I wanted.

I reached out to Todd earlier in the week in an attempt to pin down a plan to go to the mountains.  He agreed, invited others... that's about as far as the plan went.

Eventually he tossed out a couple options.  Something something Bennett or head to Wilson's for some Sinkhole Brown Mountain #9... something... something.

I tell him Pisgah Proper sounds better (partially because of potential post-ride beers at The Hub).

Saturday.  Wake up at 6:20AM.  Seriously wonder if anything is worth getting up this early for on a weekend.  I haven't been to the mountains in so long, I can't remember.

Get in the car, head out, stop for gas... and I hear "Hey, Dicky."

I'm hearing things.

Look around.  Jacob is standing there looking at me with so much youthful exuberance, bikes mounted on the back of his vehicle.

"Where you going?"

"Dunno... but probably Pisgah Proper."

"We're going to Brown Mountain.  Pretty soon, it will be back open to OHV traffic, so we wanna get it while we can."

Now I want to go to.

I think the last time I was on Brown Mountain woulda been the early 2000s... back when I had a stupid 40+ lb "free ride" bike.  You know, the kinda bike that would now weigh 29lbs and have 1-2" more travel.

Anyhoo, when I meet up with Emily, Greg, Jason and Todd, I put in my request.  They acquiesce. 

And what follows was a bluebird day in the woods with friends... and as the mountains do often, we ended up bumping into Jacob and his crew off and on all day long from start to finish.


 Quite honestly, this is exactly what I needed.

Super steep climbs on ATV trails along with even steeper chutes and rock tech stuff that I haven't seen in almost two decades.
I've been riding Charlotte way too much this winter, losing what 1,000 yard stare I had for riding long descents at speed. Also, I built the Vasssago Meatplow V.8 for going to the mountains, and I haven't been living up to my part of the bargain.

This halp.

Todd took us up and over and down to an off the beaten path-path promising either the best or at least second best view in North Carolina.

 He also thinks Peanut Butter M&M's are the best M&M's, so his opinion is slightly tainted.

The ride was just long and hard enough to prove that I have a long way to go before I'm Pisgah fit. Honestly, despite my lack of fitness, it was still the bast day I've had in the saddle in such a long, long time.

Also, La Salsas...

According to Greg, this is the first time that he had to walk away from an unfinished, novelty-sized Dos Equis (I won't mention the half a burrito in a to-go bag).

1 comment:

eric said...

Some of Pisgah is in bad shape. This was the most trees and downed limbs I have ever seen there. Laurel Creek trail was a mess with all the downed trees