Pages

Monday, September 16

Is there a point to giving this a title?

The end of it all is almost certainly nigh, not Bill Nye, but just nigh nigh.

I was perusing Instagram Thursday morning when a warning popped up...

Unnnhhhhh... ?

I can't remember the order of all the unfolding of this twisted mess, but I wasn't able to post to IG or even comment on someone's post until I deleted the link to this blerhg in my profile.  I did click through the "tell is if you think we made a mistake"thing, but that was the only follow up there on IG.

Then I head over to FaceBook and I got this:

W in T holy F?

Scroll down my wall... and every link to my blog has been blocked for "violating community standards."  Feel free to click that link and try to figure out which standard I violated and thank.  I had some semi-educated guesses at best, too many to run down here without getting even more tl;dr than this post already deserves.

More messiness followed.  I clicked FB's "it's a mistake" buttons.  Nothing.

So I google and file "reports" that won't be read by actual humans and ask my frands to try and post links and they get told "no" and they click "it's a mistake" and more googling and wasted time...

This is a problem and it is also not a problem.

Facebook is the largest driver of traffic to the blerhg.  It wasn't always that way, but it certainly is now, especially now that I only post randomly instead of five (or four consistent) days a week.  I'd imagine a lot of people don't even know that I posted something new unless they see a link on FaceBook.

Why does that even matter?

Traffic was down over 50% on Thursday even tho my link was still up for a couple hours during many's morning constitutional moments.

Traffic.

Let's remember that blerhgs are ded, or at the very least, in critical condition.  Actual traffic here is a considerably less than what it used to be five or ten years ago, but when I consider stopping, some guy walks up to me and says "I read your blog," to which I reply, "I'm sorry."

So, I keep writing for that guy... I guess.

Also, in the interest of transparency, I'm assuming that some of the Dick Support I receive from the fine folks over there on my sidebar is due to this blerhg's continued existence.  I mean, sure, they probably love that I bring my bubbly presence to events and say "When I was in China on the All-American Ping Pong team, I just loved playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle."

The Forrest Gump cardboard standee has just about as much bubbly presence as me.

So... reduced traffic and the stifling defeat that my blerhg is banned from the two larger social media outlets.  Banned for anyone and everyone.  I checked, and the links that Topeak put out there to my blerhg... ded. 

Shit.

So keep on writing for a reduced audience or hope that people figure out that they're gonna have to follow my blerhg (do people still do that?) or at least check in here on occasion for updates or what?

There might be hope, albeit quite slight.

That looks like a tiny clock to me. Mebbe links to my blerhg are on a time-out? Who knows because it's not like I can get even a hint from FB.  So with no time line and no further recourse, I'll just "report" the same problem, and more than likely, continue to get the same response every time.

I can only imagine this will slightly affect my desire to keep blerhging. I can be so easily discouraged, but I am the only guy I know who kept rocking a rat tail way into the early '90s, and I might I add, entirely in a non-ironic matter.

Sometimes, I don't know when to quit something stupid, despite how repulsed by my actions 99% of normal people may be.

Doh.  Almost forgot to circle back.  I mentioned that mebbe this isn't a problem, and I genuinely feel that way sometimes.  Blerhgs are pretty much dead.  The rest of the world has swapped over to telling stories on FaceBook and IG, and those are usually the ones I scroll past and think "is anyone actually reading that?"

All this shit exists and mebbe someday it won't.  People stop reading blerhgs, leave FaceBook and delete their accounts, and move on to something else.  The podcast world is saturated.  Folks are watching people pull shit outta boxes in YouTube... for real?

For now, I guess I'll just look out at the view from behind my virtual bars.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me still here.
I don't FB or IG either. Just Dick Y.

Anonymous said...

Dicky - I eschew all forms of the star chamber-driven monoliths comprising anti-social media, the backbone of our current cultural rot. Please keep the blog alive for us luddites who refuse acquiescence to the new order overlords. The asshat controlling cabal of IG, FB, etc. can FO. You can be the one to initiate the "walk-away" mentality from these information gatekeepers who obviously have either no idea what they are doing, or are complicit in a 1984-esque style of message control.

Rant over. Dig the blog. Keep it alive please.

eric said...

Make Blogging Great Again!!

Anonymous said...

Advocat sez:

I read your Blerhg! I don't do and hope not to do FB.

But I'm "old and slow", according to Enoch.

Anonymous said...

Almost afraid to post how I feel about the book of faces but I really enjoy your writing and hope you continue the blog.

Anonymous said...

I check in daily. Keep the blog, but if it dies, bring back zines. There was a world before the internet.

M S Long said...

Awesome blog. I've never even used FB.

Anonymous said...

In for the blog, OUT on FB/IG etc.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous #5.
Pubish a zine.

Anonymous said...

I also check in daily. Keep the blog. Especially love the race reports.

N/A said...

I ride bikes and I read blurghs. So this thing is a-ok by me.

I don't do the fb.

Anonymous said...

I rode by your house on way to BYT. There was a FB sign in yard that said DED - good luck

Big E said...

I leave the country for ONE WEEK and look what happens... I will read what you have to say. I'll just restart clicking the icon on my tool bar instead of a link on FB. No worries man. I have faith that this shit will get worked out.
Big E

NordieBoy said...

Hmmm, can't follow or like on facebook.
No options there at all :(

Guitar Ted said...

For What It Is Worth: I get a fairly consistent amount of click ins coming from this blog....oh! 'scuse me..."Blergh", and I haven't noticed any changes in that over the past several years.

And my traffic is about the same as it was last year, so not down, but not like those salad days of around 2010.

Anyway, what the hell! I don't care if this format is "ded" or whatever. I'm going to keep on keepin' on 'cause I like it and enjoy it. You should too if you still like it and enjoy it. Stop when it becomes a drag.

Nothing else matters.

FourMat said...

I appreciate good wholesome sardonic nihilism and your ice blergh gives us all that daily dose of meh.

Anonymous said...

I"m that random guy two or three summers back at Pisgah Tavern who said "keep blergh, good feels during corporate drudgery" and made you pose for a picture. Same weekend as crazy fugitive carjacking on Pisgah grav-grav, which did not end well.

Anonymous said...

Correction, crazy fugitive bike-jacking on grav. Later, carjacking.

Anonymous said...

Your readership is very old school. When can we expect the microfiche box set to drop? Better yet, you reading your blog and release it as a book on phonograph.

glen said...

the blergh feels good.