Pages

Monday, October 4

At least I'm consistently inconsistent

Yesterday I finally got a chance to put the Superbeast to the test. I headed up to Wilson's Creek with Stabby, Big Worm, and Bubba to meet up with Eric "PMBAR Honcho" Wever, Matt, Jut, and Scott. We were doing the classic shuttle ride of Raspberry, Greentown, Raider's Camp, and Sinkhole. With a bit of a late start we were loaded up and headed to the Raspberry trailhead.

I decided to wear the GoPro HD camera, and in some ways that worked out well and in others maybe not so much. With Jut and Matt taking the lead and Eric right behind I wanted to see if I could finally keep Eric in sight again now that I've stepped up a bit in the arms race. About 2:50 into the ride (thanks GoPro) while blazing down Raspberry at considerable speed I clipped a mountain laurel with my right hand, and I was sent into the air in for what felt like a a lifetime, but in actuality it was less than a few seconds. Not all those moments were spent in the air as I was tumbling and cartwheeling much to the amazement of Stabby who was right behind me.

It was all caught on film. I watched it over and over again last night. You will see it when I get a chance to edit/youtube it. I won't spoil it too much, but ouch, ouch, and ouch.

The rest of the ride I kept the camera rolling here and there, but I wasn't able to go as fast as I woulda liked. I had done a nice job of twisting my ankle. No, not the right ankle I screwed up two weeks ago, I decided to start abusing the other side of my body.

The rest of the ride in order to get the bike in the air I would have to land with my ass on the seat to keep the pressure off my left foot... that or land with my right foot at 6 o'clock, neither of which was very advisable. So I stuck it out the rest of the day riding sort of in a very lame manner. I haven't seen all the video, but I'll get a look at it soon and decided if it's worth editing.

Yeah, I'm going to work today. I've had a Swiftwick compression sock on it all night, and I'm not taking it off till I get home tonight. I don't want to see the bruising that is probably just hours away from full bloom. I pulled the shitty DeBernardi down from the attic and snapped in those test ride plastic pedals into my SPD's since clipping out was quite painful yesterday, and I assume it would be no different today. Free wheeling and ten speedin' today. The best thing is now that I'm 41 I woke up feeling the aches and pains that are present all over my body as a result of tumbling over the earth at great speeds. At least I'm not broke.

So hopefully some video this week, what I did in my spare time last week (when I wasn't blogging), and some other filler to keep it interesting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the Superbeast ok?

Will B

zod said...

All trees should be removed from within 20 feet of the trail. It's a rule......

brado1 said...

Nice Cankles

dicky said...

Superbeast damage report tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

The Superbeast frame must be discarded post haste! There could be a hairline crack anywhere in the frame that could 'break loose' at any moment in spectacular or horrific fashion. (depending on your viewpoint)

wv: nultsp

I hope you didn't hit your nultsp on the top tube during your crash

Chris said...

Dude, we could have a cankle party. I re-did mine on Saturday, some 200 yards into Laurel. Damn rocks.

Big Bikes said...

I love two things:

1.) the spin "effect" on the camera after the crash.

and

2.) That your groans are really just more dramatic, drawn-out, "Mehs."

OK, I'll add one more thing:

3.) That your bike is called "Superbeast." That is one of my all time favorite songs to get stuck in my head while riding.