Pages

Wednesday, December 12

Pardon my omission

I can't believe I totally left out the one thing that is set in stone for 2019 (other than PMBAR, natch) from Monday's blerhg post about next year's plans.

I mean, shit. Within a week of finding out that this was not just a rumor, I was booking a condo at the top of the mountain.  I have to admit that I've become a wee bit jaded when it comes to spectating at pro mountain bike races, but this should be a whole 'nother animal.  It's the last UCI World Cup race of 2019, and it's only six hours from my house.  On top of all that, things have changed since the last time I spectated a pro event.  Short track (XCO) races for XC starting grid position and more spectator friendly XC loops make for much better viewing opportunities.  From what I gather watching Red Bull TV, the downhill racing action is at higher level than what I woulda saw back in... 2011?   Beech Mountain Nats?

It's been long enough that the jaded feels might not even see an appearance next September.

Not only have I booked a place to stay, found folks to go with me, and purchased shoes that make more sense than flip flops for standing on the side of a WV mountain, I'm even taking that Monday off so we can go all out watching Sunday's racing action in a properly lubricated state and not have to make the sad drive home in the wee hours that night.

I did realize at some point while I was considering all the things that I'd be doing next year, I'd have an almost five hour drive home from the Shenandoah Mountain 100 (if I do it) on a Monday and then be heading back out for Snowshoe two days later.  Young people won't understand the dilemma, but we seniors don't travel so well back-to-back.  Mebbe it's just me.  Mebbe it's my tendency to overdo it.  Dunno.

Prolly more than mebbe tho.

I've said before that I'm not all that into hero worship, but I do so relish the idea of seeing the absolute best mountain bikers on the planet doing what they do.  The women's racing in 2018 was just insane, and... well, Nino is Nino and mebbe someone beat his dick off and mebbe not.

If you live on the East Coast and have any sorta passion for this sorta thing, I don't understand why you're not planning on being there as well.

I am vibrate with excite.

  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I grab some floor space for some $?

Festival Foot

glen said...

swell...