Pages

Monday, July 20

Goods and gooders

Bear with me if the format of this post blows a bit when I get it published.  Blogger changed their user interface, and I'm an old.  I don't like new...

Unless...

I thought mebbe I'd talk about some new stuff when I can remember that I have a blerhg.  It won't all be "ads" for Dick Supporters.  Just some props for some stuff I'm currently using that's new to my life and making it molar betterer.

You have three contact points to your bike; bars, pedals, and seat.  I guess you could say it's five contact points if you consider two hands, two feet, and one butt... unless you think the butt should count as two?

Dunno.  Does the taint make it six?

I digest.

I've upped my game in those arenas recently.

I mentioned the HandUp Jorts ... was it last week?   Still doesn't matter because they're still outta stock.  All I can say is that sometimes I don't wanna wear my racing panties in the woods, and other times I don't wanna look full-Endurbro™ in my Gore C5 Mountain shorts.  These shoot the middle rather well, although I'm sure they might scream mid-life crisis or "I'M PURPOSELY IRONIC" or something.  They're stretchy and comfy and there's no hot spots and my nuggets are well hidden from public eye.

By this point, you know that I wear HandUp gloves and that's all since... I don't even know how many years but ever since I found out about them for sure.  Anyhoo, Bill Nye and I were talking on one of our many slow lift rides up Massanutten Mountain abut our desire for HandUp to make a pair of their Summer Lite gloves in the lightest color imaginable.  Something good for riding in the Southeast jungle heat and humidity.

A week later, our dreams came true.

Less than 24 hours after getting them, the palms are less white than they started.

Air Lite Mesh Top and well-ventilated palms and almost totally white.  Pretty much the best glove ever for the heat.  I shoulda got two pairs... I'm sure they'll retire this design at some point... the day before my dog eats my left glove... again.

And one non-Dick Supporter item.

As soon as I saw these shoes drop, I had a strong feeling they'd be the best Pisgah shoe I'd shod my old feet with in some time.  The S Works level Recon had been around for awhile, but it didn't have much more grip on the sole than my pair of SIDIs... that I bought for racing... member racing?

Then Specialized announced the Recon 3.0, 2.0, and 1.0, all with some pretty grippy looking soles.

That's the 3.0 BTW.

I immediately went to Bike Source to buy a pair... and long story short, they didn't have them yet and weren't sure how soon they'd be getting them.

Then the boomie booms fell and the world changed and going into a bike shop wasn't a thing and I wasn't leaving Charlotte because of shelter in place orders and so Pisgah shoes were back-burnered. 

A few weeks ago tho, I was able to get into the shop and stick my feet in a pair of S Works that were a size smaller than I woulda thought I'd wear, and they fit, and I loved the racer-boi feel of the $425 shoe, but I wasn't there for bike cycle sport racing shoes but long walk up a mountain next to my bike shoes...

So I ordered the Recon 3.0, and then... well, they showed up.

These shoes.  So worth it.  The sole is designed to flex at the toe (yeth, they're not the first to do this), and the tread is actual rubber so I won't be busting my ass while crossing one of the thousands of creeks I'll probably encounter this year... and hopefully the next three to four years.  My heels don't slip around while hiking up the steeps, and the two BOAs/one strap combo makes getting a comfortable fit very possible.

Obvs, I'm disappoint that they're red, but yellow wasn't an option and black is boring and I just can't do too much Enduro™ blue.

So red it is.

I think I'm a few weeks into ownership, and honestly hundreds of miles now?  I've been riding.  A lot. 

Life is good.  Riding is good.  Proper Pisgah shoes are good.

Mountain pizza is good.

So good.

No comments: