Pages

Thursday, February 4

That smell? Brain fart.

The Pie is outta town all week, and this being my week off, I'm finding lots of time to piddle.  Taking on the tasks that require pacing and head scratching and learning as I move along.

A long time ago, I noticed a toothbrush sitting in a vat of grease back in the work area at Bike Source.  It was like I saw someone make fire for the first time.  Me, being an idiot, I've been greasing threads with my fingers like a cave man.  I've since swapped over to a toothbrush, but being that my personal vat of grease doesn't see as much use as the shop's, the lid stays on, leaving me with the problem of a rogue, greasy toothbrush on my bench.  It needed a home... but I needed it to come to me organically.

So there I was dumping my random hardware on the counter trying to sort out another project, and it came to me.

I know you're thinking, "wow, you reinvented a toothbrush holder."

No.  I invented THE grease toothbrush holder, thank you.

Let me enjoy the little things.

Emboldened by this great success, I decided to finally remove my vise from the bench that's been in the gulag of my shed for the past two years because there was no room for a second bench in my tiny house and mount it to my actual work bench.  I've been reluctant to do this for many reasons.

It will take up room on my tiny bench.

I'll have to drill holes in its pristine surface.

I use the vise so rarely, it gives me a reason to hang out in my shed and fellowship with my yard tools.

Effort and other potential hurdles.

I removed the vise from the old bench and brought it into the house.  It was immediately apparent that the current bolts holding it in place were too long.  Now it means I gotta make a trip to the hardware store for $3 worth of fasteners.  I mark the bolt at the desired length, enter the sprawl of my local store... and one of the far too many friendly employees wants to help me.  I want to take my time, think, imagine the problems of too short or too long or maybe a different head... but within seconds, he hands me three bolts in a sack, and I'm out the door.

Get home, drill my first hole, insert the bolt... and it's a hair too long.  The door on the front of my bench hits it.  Now, go back to the store and buy shorter bolts or break out my Dremel tool and burn through a cutting wheel or two and my remaining patience or...

attack the back of the door with a drill in an inappropriate and possibly injury-inducing manner.

Two more holes, two more bolts, and... the vise won't rotate smoothly for the whole 180°.  Closer inspection reveals that it's hitting the front two bolts. 

*sigh*

Back out to the shed, grab the bench grinder that gets used mebbe every four years, and get to hacking.

Buenos.

Yeth, I mighta forgot how hot things get when you hold them to the grinding wheel for a thirty seconds.  Gotta crack some eggs to get an omelet. 

And now after a long hiatus, I once again have friendly access to the bench vise that Josh the Wonderboy bought for me at a flea market for $15.

I'm gonna yoink so many stubborn end caps, rebuild seat posts and pedals, and crank down on some Cinch rings, and just squeeze the ever loving shit outta anything I choose.

Continuing the endless ramble, Finish Line sent me some stuff.  Here's some of that stuff (ignore the other stuff):

Obvs, the Super Bike Wash got an unfair test Sunday after the Shart Tarck race.  I say "unfair" because it wasn't the clumpy mud, but the sluicy, sandy, gritty type of sludge we get around here.  I rinsed the bike, shot it with the Super Bike Wash, rinsed it again... and it was 90% clean.  Would it work on clumpy mud?  Dunno.  I'm not anxious to go ride in clumpy mud to find out, but when I do, I guess I'll know.

The Grunge Brush.  I had one a million years ago.  I think I bought it with a gift certificate I won at a bike race (humble brag).  It lasted a little while, but then one of the brush bits broke off.  Quite awhile back, I was looking for the ultimate SS chain cleaner.  It was a failed effort, so I bought another Grunge Brush... which lasted a little while... and then it broke in the same manner.

So, when I got this, I was like, "great, another Grunge Brush."

I mean, I've already converted myself to using an ultrasonic cleaner and deep "waxing" my chain, so what's this good for?

The brush looked and felt different than the old one I had, so I googled it.

Aha.  Not only is the new one more ergonomic, they beefed up the spindly brush bits where it broke the last two times.  But still, what good is it... I guess mebbe cleaning rings and cogs and...

While I was reading about the new version, I saw this: "The Grunge Brush™ can be used dry or... "

Dry? 

Dropping my chain in a wax based lube does a great job of getting it into the rollers and on the pins (where the lube is most needed), but I still end up with grit and grime on the plates and such.

Fifteen or so seconds later with the Grunge Brush...

Like Navin R Johnson, the Grunge Brush has found its special purpose.

Ultrasonic cleanings as needed, and post-ride Grunge Brushing in between.

Did you make it this far?  Did you learn anything? 

Go fist bump your neighbor and tell them how good their lawn looks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...



Drill hole in Grease lid = Insert Brush + Let it live in the bath of grease.


Tidy + Pre greased Brush at the ready

dicky said...

It was considered, but I don't want grease on anything but the bristles... if that makes sense. I hate getting grease on anything but where I intend it to go. So yeth, I'm trying to keep my grease brush clean. It's a "me thing."

S Sprague said...

I've read it enough to find that you has referenced The Jerk which shows we are gentlemen of a certain age. I gotta check out that Grunge Brush!

Paul Shin said...

I used my finger for years. Then had the idea to use a stick I found outside. Brilliant! What better tool exists for smearing grease to things? That stick amazingly served for 4 years. Then 3 years ago, my wife was throwing out her toothbrush, which is usually a lot less disgusting than mine. Gee, wonder if a brush would work better than a stick? Bingo.
I am now waiting out a couple of her make up cases to run out so I can steal the brush before she throws it out.

Hadn’t thought of a hanger. Mine just sits on top of the great tub which is pretty disgusting. During the blistering summer heat, would it drip down to the handle hanging like that? Would a holder made of something like an old 35mm film canister with the head down/handle up be better?

Nick said...

How often are you ultrasonic cleaning and waxing? I mean, that's potentially a lot of "non-reusable" quick links to go through. This is the main reason I don't wax on wax off.

dicky said...

Nick, since I'm single speed, I use KMC 9 speed quick links and chains. They can be reused multiple times. I don't even think about it.

Anonymous said...

Old t shirt to wipe chain, use $13 for beer.