Pages

Wednesday, April 8

So, about the MOOTS...

The Six Hours of Warrior Creek allowed me to get very familiar with the new Meatplow in a very short amount of time. I had my concerns about how long it would take to get friendly with the way it would ride since it was sort of a blend between a few different bikes I've ridden over the last year.

From a fit standpoint I think I'm still gonna tinker around with a few options. Layback post, 60mm stem, 70mm stem... yeah, I'll probably end up near where I started, but I'll feel better about the decision when I hate the other options after trying them. Comfort-wise I had already decided to swap the 355 front rim to a Flow (which will soon be on the way). I want the increased volume back, and dare I say I think the 355 flexes noticeably more than I want my front wheel to flex? The Niner fork does a great job soaking up the rough terrain, so I think I made a pretty good choice there, besides it looks very moto.

The last three bikes I mounted my Hayes Strokers to had issues with the lever contacting the top tube. I really stared at the drawing for a long time hoping we had solved the problem with the sloped top tube and appropriate length head tube. It all worked out, so I can stop worrying about ruining my levers or my top tube.

Sliders. After all these years of happy EBB use I can say that sliders are pretty sweet too. It mighta taken me five minutes to adjust my EBB (including the time I spent searching for my tools), but I would say it takes seven minutes to adjust the sliders. I haven't actually timed either one of the processes, so these are just guesses as either method is greatly effected by the varied locations of the appropriate toolage. Speaking of toolage...

I've been messing with different tools to spin the 8mm tensioning bolts. The 8/10mm open end wrench on the far right was a ground score at work (two days before I got my MOOTS) which will probably see the 10mm hacked off with the intentions of throwing it in my pack for emergencies. The 8mm box end works well, but has to be re-positioned a lot for true success. The ratchet works, ummmmm... okay, but since there's so little resistance on the bolt you have to hold the socket for true ratchety goodness. I have yet to try either driver, but I like the cute yellow one on the right (actually a 5/16, plus close enough for government work) , since it was also an opportune score, but the big gray one has sentimental value since my dad lifted it from the USAF back in the day. I guess we shall see.

The position of the sliders in the above photo is with a 32X18 gear and a brand new PC-1 chain. The chainstay length works out to be 17.75" with that set up, which happens to be my local gear. There's still 5/16" of forward adjustment, and I'm hoping that's enough room for me to throw on my 19T and maybe even my 20T cog. I haven't had time to mess with it yet, so we shall see.

That was pretty boring, wasn't it?

I did mention that I wanted to talk about the Warrior Creek course. I hate to be too short in my description, but I wanted to mention that I have never ridden any trails anywhere like the ones in N Wilkesboro. They've got almost 40 miles of trail up there, and they're constantly adding more. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, stop going to Tsali all the damn time and come to North Wilkesboro next time. The trails are way more fun, a lot less crowded, the camping is way more available, and (if you live east of Asheville) way more closer than Tsucki. I mean just look at this (some other photos here, including a good looking, but blurry guy in a BKB kit):

photo credit: Kinetic Images

I'll be outta town on a non-biking type trip till next week, so I've got a question for you to mull over and answer.

Should I:

A. Go back to the Shenandoah Mountain 100 for the fourth year in a row? It is the funnest hundie out there, I've had great luck there (1st fixie 2006, 2nd SS 2007, 3rd SS 2008), camping and food are included in the price, all the cool folks are there (Tomi, Elk, Topher, Timmy, Buck, etc), I have travel companions from Charlotte, and it requires no unpaid time off work....

or

B. Take a plane ride to a lengthy car ride to meet up with some fine folks (names and certain information withheld to protect the guilty) and do the Dakota 50 (not to be confused with the Dakota Fanning). I would have to take two unpaid days off, leave the family for a few more days (with SSWC09 right around the corner), and pack/prepare/spend a lot of time in planes, trains and automobiles, but I get to see South Dakota and meet a whole new bunch of freaky folks.

Whaddaya think??

What would Ice do, baby?

photo cred: Faces of Dicky

Late edit: The poll is somewhat lopsided so far, but I left something out. Consider the out of pocket expenses a wash, and the company to be had at the Dakota 50 quite exclusive, no... make that interesting... well, at least very, very interesting.

21 comments:

Andrew Brautigam said...

or pull your kids out of school and go for a family trip to VA for those two days - ride all morning, family stuff all night. There is so much amazing singletrack around h-burg. plus, no flying.

Anonymous said...

Dicky- Swap the tension bolts out for a socket head (allen-head) style bolt. Then hack off the open end to tighten the nut- You probably already carry the proper allen-head - Don't you?

Anonymous said...

Stay closer to home and family (no this is not your wife posting anonymously....or is it?)

Guitar Ted said...

I would vote for the Shennandaoh gig. I'm betting much better blog fodder will result.

SurlyGirl said...

Congrats on the win last weekend. That's a nice shot of my friend and teammate Paula, where did you find it?

You should head this way for SM100, it is where all the cool people will be.

Luis G. said...

Dicky,

I have never rubbed ;) those tensioner bolts on my bike, they are not needed. Go to the hardware store and replace the 4 stock bolts with beefy 6mm allen head bolts and lock washers. You can really torque them down. I've never had mine slip...

dicky said...

Laura,
The photo is from the same MTBR link in this post (more photos here).

Anonymous said...

Rich- SM100.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it'll be cheaper and guaranteed good times versus more expensive and probable but not guaranteed good times.
MB
ps. my word verification is fecti! The 7th grader in me thinks that's funny...

Big Dave said...

I'm sure the Dakota 5-0 would be a great course...but man...you could get pounded in an early snowstorm and really regret the trip.

The "exclusive company" would keep me closer to home.

Anonymous said...

Dakota Five O Dicky is where it is at. That course is onw of the most challenging around. Plus Mpls Mafia crew and their shennanigans are a must see after the race. Bring the family, very family oriented.

BG
Wisco USA

Melanie said...

South Dakota is an awfully nice place.

jkeiffer said...

layback post... Shoulda gone 72* STA. I told ya.

(I'm sure its sweet!)

Anonymous said...

S100 is always a hoot of a good time!!!

W101 and S100!

cause Chris puts on a kick ass race!

Adirondack said...

You could also consider a stubby ratcheting box-end wrench for adjusting the tensioning bolts on the sliders- used to use one on my Redline Monocog Flight SS which also had paragons.

fatbob29r said...

Rich, as others have already said. Ditch the stock slider bolts for M6 deep sockets, you can also get allen headed adjuster bolts, go to Loes or Home Depot and match up your TPI.

SM100 fo shizzle, Chris Scott does it up right

Sandblogger said...

Nice looking bike man. I'll prolly be volunteering at the Epic, so I'll check it out in person then.

Sir Chico Demonte III said...

Since I got family in SD, I'm giving the Dakota some thought.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't the Dakota 50 be a new experience? New trails and such? That would be a huge factor for me.

Unknown said...

Everything OK? You've been missing for a couple days now.

Anonymous said...

Where are you Dicky? I really miss your fanciful wit. My life is at a standstill. I can't even eat or drink. My bicycle is getting cobwebs. Please get back home.

Your truly dispondent #1 fan in Florida

ps. can I wear your skin to my birthday party?

YuriB said...

found. http://upsideout.blogspot.com/2009/04/squeal.html