Pages

Thursday, September 2

PSA, Tallboy news that's not news, and more Breck Epic

First things first....

This is Reba. If you live in Charlotte, you mighta heard about her situation. She was recently rescued from a puppy mill where her job was to make puppies for profit. She's been with us for the last two weeks, and she goes back into the general population at the Charlotte Humane Society today. She's very affectionate, has slept in our bed every night she's been here, and is pretty well adjusted considering what she's been through. Her lack of hair in the photo is due to stress, but it's been growing back at an amazing rate. She needs a good home. Help me find her one.

Now bike related stuff.

The Tallboy is now the Stallboy. Never has a bike frame sat so long in my bike room in a state of unbuiltedness. I've done everything I can do without the parts I don't have (c'mon SRAM, I'm sorry about the "douche" comment already). Last night I mounted up some WTB rubber to my Industry Nine wheels to give my Tallboy a little Mark Weir/Hellride tribute feel.

They're a little bit meaty, but if everything works out and the planets align I'll be introducing this thing to the dirt at the Pisgah Bad Ass race next week. These tires should be up to the task of riding some Pisgah nasty for hours on end.

One of the cool things about the Tallboy is the grease ports located on the lower pivot.

What's even better is that Santa Cruz includes a grease gun with which one can shoot grease into the grease ports with the purchase of the grease port equipped frame. Suh-weet.

Grease port!

Although I haven't ridden the frame a lick I've been using this thing quite a bit.

It's been great for chapped lips, frosting cakes, and hemorrhoid treatments. Once I get the bike rolling I'll probably save the grease for its intended application.

I know some of you are probably wondering what happened to the whole "buying a camera so I can take some photos at Breck" thing. Well, I suck at taking pictures, especially when stopping to do so will require me to spend more time not relaxing after the finish. I did take some photos on the trip, but the interest level is quite dubious.

This is the very last of my That Butt Stuff chamois lube being applied to my bibs on the very last day. It just seemed like such an epiphanical moment I had to capture it.

When I was stuck in Denver with nothing to do the day after the race I took the Meatplow out of the travel case and gave it a bath. Make hay while the sun shines and abuse hotel privileges often.

Peter nodding nearly napping and hugging his pillow in a quest for physical comfort and solace.

and perhaps the only photo I took while riding my bike...

Peter passing me for the first of many times throughout the week, This image haunts me in my dreams and may be the catalyst that forces me back onto the bike to train for the 2011 "season".

At least I knew how to ride down this descent that Peter could not navigate properly (as seen in this dramatic recreation):

Peter's Big Wreck

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Damn, now that you're posting every morning again, my blog traffic is going to go down.
Is that the Wheeler Pass descent?

dicky said...

No, that's an early part of the first descent of the Guyot Stage. I cleaned it two years in a row. Peter? Not so much. STIL... steeper than it looks or in Peter's case , stupider than it looks.

Peter Keiller said...

after breck i DOUBLED the cost of MY jersey.
just saying.

VICTORY!