Pages

Wednesday, October 13

Everything you wanted to know about Team Dicky, but you were waiting for Marshall Conrad to ask


Marshall "No Parkering on the Dance Floor" Conrad ripping it up for the Campbell Camels

Today is my "off day" and as promised I'm posting the interview I did for Marshall Conrad's Advanced Writing Eng. 302 class. Some of you know this stuff, some of it is new, and some of it regards the future.

Enjoy.

1. What was the first bike you owned and the first "real" bike you owned?

My first bike that I ever owned was a Huffy Wrangler banana seat cruiser with a nice cowboy themed paint job, but my first real'ish bike was a Giant Sedona with Shimano Exage plastic brakes that I bought used back in 1995. When I first got it I used to ride it in the woods (not on trails), and I couldn't understand how that was supposed to be fun. It ended up being stolen from my friend's back porch in Youngstown, OH. Imagine that.

2. What lead you to MTB and how and when did you start cycling?

I've always ridden a bike ever since I could keep myself up on two wheels. My infatuation with MTB started while I was attending Youngstown State University. My roommate and I would borrow mountain bikes and poach the hiking trails in Mill Creek Park. That was before poaching was cool and then later when it became uncool.

3. Name and describe the first race you ever competed in and how did it go?

I was racing the beginner class in Snowshoe, WV back in 1992. A hundred yards from the start the course veered left and down a steep ski hill. My friend, (Dwight Pierce) and I decided to wait until everybody had started down the hill before we made the horrific (at the time) descent. I'm sure I finished pretty far back in the pack, but I did live to tell about it.

4. What would you say is your greatest achievement in the cycling world thus far?

Probably winning the 24 Hour Solo Single Speed World's, but only because it sounds impressive. It was a pretty good moment in time, and an accomplishment that I thought was beyond my abilities.

5. Name and describe the wildest place cycling has taken you thus far?

I'd have to say I never thought I'd go to Costa Rica, let alone twice, but La Ruta was definitely took me to the "wildest place" I've seen. Seeing actual army ants crossing the trail?? Pretty cool. It was also my first immersion into a different culture aside from Disney World.

6. Best and worst races? Name and describe.

Best race? That's hard. Since I've raced so many formats I've got favorites in each category. The one race that I will probably do every year until I'm dead is the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure race. It's just a format I dig with good people all around.

Worst? La Ruta. I say that only because it's the kind of race you do just so you can say you've done it. Although I saw some pretty interesting things in Costa Rica it was just a 3-4 day sufferfest with little to no trail riding to speak of. It's one of the few races I've put on my "never again" list.

7. How many bikes do you have and describe your favorite one?

Niner One Nine single speed
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Cannondale track bike (this is the bike I use at work/bike messenger)
Kestrel carbon fiber road bike
My old ti 29'er built up as a brakeless fixie cyclocross bike (so cool it's USAC illegal)
DeBernardi steel road bike
Raleigh beach cruiser
an adult tricycle

My favorite one? I love my Niner single speed, but the Tallboy is a recent acquisition and my first geared full suspension bike in seven years. I've been having goobly gobs of fun on it as of late. I would say it's like asking a kid what his favorite toy is right after Christmas... the fanciest newest one, of course. Well, at least for the first five minutes, and then you'll find the kid sitting in the box the toy came in. That's why I was sure to throw the box away as soon as I built the Tallboy.

8. Where is your favorite place to ride?

Wow.... living so close to the Pisgah National Forest I'd have to say it's my favorite place to ride with great frequency, but my trip to Durango last year was just awesome. In four short days I was exposed to so many different types of riding. I'd love to go back someday.

9. What is your favorite event you ever competed in?

Single Speed Worlds is always a rolling party. I will always try to go whenever it comes to the U.S.

10. In your opinion: Why do you think cyclist insist on getting trashed the night before races and how do you personally do it and race endurance races(100 milers, 12, and 24 hours, stage races)?

Lack of good judgment, a deep appreciation for the finer things in life, and a certain disrespect for the human condition. I have no idea how I do it, and it has been awhile since I have done so. It really, really sucks, but when the beer is flowing and good times are being had.... it just happens.

11.So I know you're a messenger in Charlotte, is that the bulk of your training program or is there an actual "Team Dicky" training program?

That's the bulk of it. With the economy being slow I've been doing fewer deliveries which means fewer miles on the bike. I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 miles over the course of a 9.5 hour day. I usually get in one MTB ride on the weekends, and that's about it. I think the real benefit comes from the fact that I've been on the bike @ six days a week for almost thirteen years. Base fitness goes a long way I guess, or at least I hope.

12. Break-down for us the pre-race routine for Team Dicky.

I have very little routine, thus my random results and inconsistent finishes. I'm pretty much over the whole "being nervous before a race" thing, but I usually forget some critical element every time due to my semi-casual approach. Routines are for losers who want to win.

13. How do you personally balance work, racing, training, kids, and a wife? and what does she think of your riding?

I don't balance anything. When I get home from work it's family time, then wife time, then bed. On weekends I squeeze a ride into the schedule and on random weekends I get to go racing. Training just doesn't fit in there very well, so it is last on the list. My wife knows that riding and racing are the only things keeping me on this side of sanity, so she goes along with it. My compulsive nature needs some focus, and without riding I might become a very intense knitter.

14. Bike set-up you raced this season and any changes you might make for next season?

For 2010 I rode a Niner One 9 single speed built with the following:
Niner carbon fork
Industry Nine wheels with Stan's rims
Cane Creek 110 headset
Easton Monkeylite bars
Shimano PRO stem and XTR pedals
Race Face Deus crank
Hayes Stroker brakes
Moots ti seatpost
WTB Silverado saddle
Rampage front tire and whatever on the rear

Next season? That's a development in the works. The words "prototype" and "brontoawesomeous" have been bandied about.

15. Any improvements you want to make for next year?

Not sure. I might try to focus on certain races or something of the sort. Trying to maintain fitness and focus for 7-8 months a year sucks. I've got the winter to figure that out. Be competitive or have fun? That is always the question.

16. Any idea on races for next year?

The only things solid so far are the Six Hours of Warrior Creek, PMBAR, and the Trans-Sylvania Epic stage race. The rest of the season is up in the air. I'd really like to do something new, but nothing has popped up on the radar yet.

17. Any thing else you think might be of importance for the direction of this paper on you.

I do this for fun... riding, racing, writing, everything. I'll do it until it stops being fun, and then I'll start knitting. I've heard good things.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Could you knit me a nice beer cozy? I hear you've "retired" from cycling.

Nick said...

Park City Point to Point 2011!!!

Greg D. said...

Wow, I had the same first bike. Tan colored cowboy Huffy with the Brown pleather banana seat...

Rick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.