Pages

Tuesday, December 14

Write Hard, Ride Free

Friday's post with all the T&A was a somewhat subconscious release of the bike industry marketing that had infiltrated my brain. I'm always amazed when sex is used to sell product, but I'm even more amazed when it works. Recently I read a post on Rick Vosper's RVMS Bike 2.0 blog about why certain types of marketing work in the bike industry. While he didn't necessarily mention using breasts to market bikes I think that it applies somewhat to the topic, that being marketing directed at key influencers.

I'm not going to go into it at length since he really did a great job over there.

Why do I bother read about such silliness anyways? I don't know Rick's entire background, but he seems to have some "industry" experience. I tend to find the "industry" quite fascinating, and I try to absorb what I can when I can. If I happen to find myself in the company of an experienced race promoter, a paid industry shill, an engineer, a welder, a professional cyclist (one who makes a living riding bikes), a shop owner, a bike media elitist journalist, a marketing guy, a local rep, or a small bike company owner, I ask a lot of questions and keep my ears wide open. If Mike Ferrentino of Santa Cruz is yapping about the benefits of carbon fiber, I listen. If Eric Smith of Cane Creek is blabbing about headsets in a manner that would bore the average person, I'm still listening. If Peter of Misfit Psycles is waxing philosophic about domestic VS overseas manufacturing... yeah, I'm listening to that as well. For some odd reason, as pointless as the information may be in my daily life, I wanna know it. I find it fascinating.

I imagine someday (hopefully not too soon) when I am no longer delivering packages on a bicycle I'll want to be in the "industry" at some level, realizing that working at a bike shop as a low level grom is considered, by some, to be in the "industry." It's just that I have an interest in all things bicycle, and can not imagine being in a place where I can't talk about them all day long.

Then, in my new occupation as bike shop grom, the major manufacturers can market bikes to me directing their drivel at my machismo and youthful penis in order to influence the way I sell bikes on the floor.

"Of course you want a Signature Gary Fisher Trek. Haven't you seen Willow Koerber in lingerie?"

The latest issue of Dirt Rag is out there..

If you haven't gotten it already, yes there is a new article from me (and my department) as well as some other stuff from other people. This issue marks the "I've made it past my first year as a bike media elitist journalist," and being so I would think it's quite the collector's item.

Have I learned anything from this experience yet? Yes. Writing for a magazine is harder than writing a blog. It requires more thought, more effort, and more patience with autograph hounds. It also pushes me to write gooder, and that I am working on harder.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gotta purty mouth.

Anonymous said...

I would think that your quest for bike knowledge could just stop at the 29er section of MTBR. Lots of industry knowledgeable people there.
It has got to be true if it is in the internet.

cornfed said...

I think it's "pushes me to write more gooder"

TheMutt said...

I stood out in the cold all morning to get my copy of Dirt Rag autographed, but you never rode by. Now I'll have to resort to stalking, or forgery.


WV: unitif

Kark said...

"I'm always amazed when sex is used to sell product, but I'm even more amazed when it works."

Are you really surprised that sex sells? I don't think I believe that..

I mean personally, I have absolutely no use for weapons, but if you put a pair of pumps and a push-up bra on an Abrams tank, I'll look twice and probably want one.

Peter Keiller said...

perhaps that's why THOM http://wellonabigbikeya.blogspot.com/ has so many more (paying) writing gigs than you.

he's not afraid to shake babies and kiss booty.

when BARLOW http://craigbarlow.blogspot.com/ was famous he was neked almost ALL the time...now he can't even GIVE away stickers.

sex it up dick.
sex it real good.

Rick Vosper said...

Well, heck, Rich, I like breasts as well as the next fellow. I'm just not sure what they have to do with selling bikes. Actually I know exactly what they have to do with selling bikes, and the technical term in the advertising world is "Borrowed Interest."

That's when your product isn't interesting enough by itself, so you have to "borrow" from something else to get people to read your advertising.

For more on this topic, see http://blog.rvms.com/2009/09/02/the-eurobike-report-why-sell-it-with-sex-hardly-ever-works-for-bikes/

...and thanks for the kudos.

--rick

dicky said...

Funny, but I found that post this morning after I published.

Better boobs = Better bikes

dicky said...

wait a second...

"borrowed interest" sounds like 95% of what I do on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I think I want whatever bike that Looney girl is riding . . . .

Anonymous said...

breasts sell because it reminds people of the hills they have to climb.

bikes + breasts = good times baby!

let the good times roll!


is a simple thing, breasts reminds the boys of hills. I'm not sure about the ladies in the house though... hmmm.... I'll have to think about that.

I keep telling the gf that anyhow - I like breasts, it reminds me of the hills I have to climb on my bike. She buys that.

rick is! said...

I have a nearly naked autographed photo of barlow but nothing from the dickster...