Pages

Friday, January 7

Look at those puppies: Part deux

Yes, I was at the meeting last night, albeit only for about 15 minutes. I had promised to drop of a box of old lights, batteries, and chargers to a local DIY kinda guy, and I had to follow through.

I was planning on staying, but I felt my presence was needed at home. Earlier that day The Pie had to take long term foster dog Sally (AKA Slinky) back to the Humane Society to be euthanized.

Sally with my mom on Christmas Eve

Sally doing a little early morning ass-on-the-pillow spoon action on The Pie, much to the dismay of long term Dillen dog Maggie.

Sally getting hers on Christmas day.

Sally's cancer was beyond help when she was originally surrendered to the Humane Society, so I guess we were providing hospice care for her. I thought we were going to have more time with her, but according to the vet the cancer metastasized in her brain, and we were lucky to get the time we did out of her. As much as this all sucks, it's part of the long term foster game.

The short term foster world?

It's still a world of fluffy kittens and puppies full of all sorts of excrement wanting to eat 24/7. These two guys (Adrien Brody and Justin Bieber... long story) have been here for over two weeks now. I asked The Pie last night just how many animals have passed through our house over the last five years. She told me that we're approaching two hundred, which means that there have been thousands of poops on my floor. BTW: These guys will be available January 28th at the Charlotte Humane Society.

Since this post has nothing to do with bikes and is somewhat depressing already...

This past November my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was caught early, and in just over a week she's getting her surgery (January 18th if everything goes as planned), so posts may be sporadic depending on her post-op needs. Being in the wheelchair makes this a little harder for her, so The Pie and I may be kinda busy. Her pre-op prognosis is good, and we have our fingers crossed.

The best part is that my mom has a helluva positive attitude. She always has. I snag a hangnail on the sheets when I go to bed, and I have to hop out immediately to run to the bathroom and snip it off or else lay awake thinking about it. She finds out she has breast cancer, and says something along the lines of "It figures." She's dealt with so much over the last 25+ years with her MS that it takes quite a bit to shake her.

There, I got all that out of the way in one depressing post as opposed to two or three. Next week will be a five day onslaught of posts (perhaps I'll divulge the identity of my 2011 frame sponsor), and then after that the posts may dry up and be spotty like my podium appearances.

Thanks for sticking around after the holiday season dry spell, and I hope you make it through this one as I "ramp up" for the Charlotte Winter Short Track Series, Single Speed Arizona, and Southern Cross while taking care of family matters.

Late edit: Since I'm on the subject of depressing topics, it's been weeks since someone called me a pussy. Just saying.

20 comments:

mandy said...

Sorry to hear about Sally, lucky for her to have such a nice home for the end.

Hoping for a great surgery and fast recovery for your Mom.

Craig said...

Only a big yeasty, hairy, pussy would complain about not being called a pussy.

Your blog is the bestest, so all 32 of us will stick around to read throughout the winter. I mean thats what you are paying us for, right?

TheMutt said...

I bought you a beer at the meeting last night, but you left before I could give it to you. I had to drink it myself. What a shame.

Anonymous said...

best of wishes to your mom.

you still suck.

allan said...

Your mom sounds like one tough lady. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for her.

Sorry about Sally. You and your family are awesome for doing what yall do.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your fam and your mom coming your way from Wisconsin. My mom had breast cancer years ago and is still cancer-free and doing great. Your mom will too. Peace to you guys.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your mum.

wishing her best of luck with her surgery.

- Luc

Shane S. said...

Your mom sounds like a tough cookie!
I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

I guess I'll call you a pussy too if it will make feel better!

Namrita O'Dea said...

Sorry, Rich. :(

Best wishes for your mom.

J Doncevic said...

I'm praying for your mom and the Jan 18 surgery.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to look at the cute puppies but all I see is a sweet rack.

Ps. Sorry about your Mom.

SurlyGirl said...

Healing thoughts for your Mom.

cornfed said...

Best wishes for your mom.

The Pie is a beautiful person, the world could use a few more like her. She's also a pretty competent dog bra model.

wv: intie

Anonymous said...

At least you are a good hearted pussy! That means a lot these days.

Best wishes to your mom!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the loss.

Best of luck to your mom.

Nice looking puppies.

Stephanie said...

Another good reason for me to continue to participate in the MS150 as well as support The Race for the Cure.

Big E said...

All these comments and not one reference to sweater puppies!? What the hell guys!? We've got to elevate or game around here.

I'm glad to hear you mom's prognosis is good. Enjoy all the time you can (I know you do). My mom has stage 4 lung cancer and is still fighting like the trooper she is. Blessings on you all.

Anonymous said...

PUSSY

Anonymous said...

hope your mom is doing well now...

" approaching two hundred, "
200 pets, yikes! the gf complains about just one... our new little pup.

its friggen incredible that you take in so many homeless pets!

good on yah!

everyone/thing needs a home on the ball of earth


jac.

Hooples3 said...

Sorry to heAr about mom, she is on the right track by being positive. My mom had stage 4 lung cancer, we all were pretty scared but I believe our positive attitudes and fighting spirit worked and she is now completely cancer free. Keep fighting. Go mom!!!!!