Pages

Monday, August 24

Onwards and forwards... but kinda at an indirect angle

No weekend getaways to exotic locales.  

Still, something like 160-180 miles in seven days of riding.  One trip to Pisgah, but mostly local trails, two greenway rambles, and one wandering journey around town linking up a couple lesser ridden singletrack ribbons.

More snakes tho... 

It almost feels like I went straight back to March.

Member March?

I member.

My mountain pizza game has been renewed, but it took some thinking about what I really want in a slice of pizza that has been warmed by my lower back for a couple hours.

I'm now at least four months in on totally intending to buy a new Sawyer water filter instead of bumming one from friends... but...

Farlow Gap.  What can I say?  That was at least my fourth ride down it after saying I'd never ride it again.  The gnar gnar bro bros will wanna put my head on a pike, but it's in a sad state right now.  I know some drainage work was done a few years ago, but it was just terrible.  With it requiring a climb  of something like 2,000+ feet of climbing in about six miles to get to the top, I'm wondering how many people are actually riding it anymore.  It's a legendary trail, but most people looking to get their shred on are probably hitting Bennett, Black, Avery... way more accessible (and fun) trails.

Mebbe that was my last time?

I did an image search for Farlow Gap (and me) and found plenty of photos of my friends and I riding sections that aren't even recognizable today.  So there's that.

So much local riding got did done.  

Some rides were just to get out of the house, others to be marginally social, and a few that were just plain fun.  I truly am blessed to have so much trail nearby with a decent variety of flavors.

Now, back at work for a week and the RNC is in town.  That should be great fun, right?

Oh, I can't get to work using South Tryon or College and there are so many guns and cops and fences and Jersey barriers?

Smells like freedom all up in here.

1 comment:

jay said...

i rode Farlow for the first time about a month ago. I enjoyed the climb up. I enjoyed the rolling intro bit. but once it pointed proper downward... it was more survival than techy or fun. A few times i found a rhythm. The fun meter definitely swung upward on Daniel Ridge though. you can't beat the water crossings on farlow though. gorgeous waterfalls too.