Pages

Monday, December 17

Thank Part One.

Before this year is all the way through, I wanted to take the time to thank the Dick Supporters over there on my sidebar.  I didn't race as much as I normally do in 2018, but they were all nice enough to look the other way on that.  None of them have reached out and asked me to stop mentioning them, so let's just say we're all in for next year.  I'll break this up over two days for toilet time reading pleasures.

My local bike shop, Bike Source Charlotte.  Since we moved into our new to us house one year ago, they're only about a mile from my front door.  It's been incredible having such easy access to one of the best stocked inventories in town and a knowledgeable staff.  I like them peoples a lot... even when they fully disassemble my bike in the back room at a shop party.

Backcountry Research.  I was their first customer back in the summer of 2009.  Eegads, that's a long time.  Over those years, I've had the opportunity to write some content on their site for them, play with new stuff, and grow with a brand that was once a guy with a sewing machine and an idea that turned into big deal.  Now in a 3,000 square foot facility...

with international distribution, sponsored world class pro athletes, and a bunch of employees, they are big time.  A real American success story.  They've made my minimalist gear dreams come true, and their products are with me on every single ride. 

Vertigo Cycles.  Good lord, don't click that link.  Sean hasn't updated his site since... before I even got the Meatplow V.7?  Anyways, this is the bike of the Apocalypse for me.  If I could only have one bike, this is the one.  It really is a part of me at this point.  Non-boost, never will be able to run gears on it, no rooting for a drooper, and still somehow the bike of the future.

Still making beautiful memories after all these years later.

That said...

Vassago Cycles.  Fortunately, I don't have to have only one bike.  This bike is just different enough from the Vertigo that it has its place.  I look forward to putting some lighter (non-super gnar) tires on it and racing it some this year, although when I look at that tentative schedule, I have no idea which event that might be.  I've only ridden the bike slightly overweight (personally), more or less outta shape, and with more than a pound of extra rubber going in circles.  I suspect that it might be fast at getting places.

Industry Nine.  The longest lasting Dick Supporter of them all, going all the way back to the 2006 Trans Rockies and the 24 Hour Solo World Championships.  I love their wheels so much that riding anything else is usually disappoint.  Tick another box for being a USA company while you're at it... that also employs a good crew of people who are passionate about bikes.  

NOX Composites.  Although I did just go with a straight forward Industry Nine crabon wheel this last go around, NOX is what got me started in the crabon wheel world.  Ever since going crabon, I can't imagine going back.  My first set of NOX Farlows are still going strong and coming up on four years old.  So many impacts and thuds and not one ding ANYWHERE.  I can never say that I've had an aluminum rim make it much more than a year without at least one thunk in it.  Four years, people... so ask yourself, is crabon worth it?

The answer is yeth.

I'll get at the rest of them tomorrow.

3 comments:

Moe said...

Not to sound like a fan boi, but I have to say, that 2 of the brands/items listed here are on my bikes because of you and your blog. The Backcountry Research straps and tulbags are so simple, yet so awesome. The NOX composites hoops have been beat to death by me on a rigid SS in some super shitty terrain and are still true as can be without any dings in the edges where it matters. The sides of my rims look like they have been dragged behind the vehicle down the side of a mountain, but the structural integrity is still 100% in tact. I had no place to get the NOX hoops locally, so talked my local shop into signing on as a dealer a few years ago. They are now his favorite hoops to build with. He has them on his bikes as does many other local riders.

KC said...

Same deal here, I use Backcountry, Endless, and I9 because I read about them here. I figure you beat your stuff up at least as much as I do & whatever you don't kill should hold up for me. So far so good.

OE said...

Another one who found Backcountry because of this blerg.